bear!

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
saw a big fat black bear crossing the road this morning. seen them beforearound here - even had them up on my deck- but this guy was pretty good sized. how much you want to bet he'll have his smelly paws in my pond when i get fish in there?

might as well clean/cook/serve them to him myself :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol one problem I don't have, good luck

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's funny we have a sissy here on the forum and my maiden name was Byrd and I married a Wrenn.............my mom was going to name me Robin but changed her mind and I'm so glad she did :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze jw your a little birdie yourself .Bear I have seen 2 baby ones here and game wardens caught momma and then had to get the babies out of my apple tree and reunite them all and relocate them .How do you protect a pond from bear? build a house around it or what and if you do that and you hear knocking ask who it is first

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I guess they say there are bear around here but I've never seen any. If that happens and they rip up my pond..............I guess the bears win and bye bye fish pond or like sissy says would have to build a building around it w/ glass windows cuz they'd rip the screen right off. They did that at my sisters house in Cave Junction, Oregon..............she had her ferrets out in a screen/wood house and they just used their strong claws to break in and get the ferrets.They thought that bear was either ill or injured and just plain mad at the world tho.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh at my family house in PA there are plenty of bear and when they are hungry they will do anything to get to food .Even broke the glass windows in the house and a couple of years ago they broke down the kitchen door .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well there goes the idea of putting windows in a pond house! Not much fun having a pond locked behind brick and mortar :grumble:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Shatter proof thick glass would work as these windows were single pane and the door was not the sturdiest either .Depends on the size of the bear .

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
the bears here are seldom a problem. sometimes in the spring they wake up from hibernation hungry and will take your bird feeders down to eat the seed or they'll push your grill over and lick the grating. a farmer nearby had a goat killed by a bear one night...figuring that he would be back the next night for another goat the farmer waited with a shotgun and ended the problem, but the last i heard of any related trouble. for the most part they're shy and don't want any trouble.

...now having a moose stomp around your garden while eating your veggies is a different matter altogether!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No moose here fortunately but deer can be a bit invasive but they are not anywhere near the size of a moose,yikes!

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
i had 42 turkeys in the yard a few days ago...that's 84 drumsticks!

i had tossed what was left of an apple into the woods. one turkey found it and picked it up. another turkey saw it and wanted it and gave chase...other turkeys started running just because they saw him running...it looked some weird turkey-style football game as they ran around and into each other. it was a hoot to watch.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's funny, I hear turkeys aren't too smart............that they can drown looking straight up while it is raining,have no idea if this is really true tho :eek:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That's funny, I hear turkeys aren't too smart............that they can drown looking straight up while it is raining,have no idea if this is really true tho :eek:
I knew a turkey farmer here 40 years ago who swore he lost over a hundred birds in a heavy rainstorm!!! But then, farmers do have a strange sense of humour. :twisted:
John

Ask a Question