Bee question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 - maybe you'll know the answer to this one. We've had a few big bumblebees (the REALLY big ones) hanging around one of our flower beds the last week or so. No flowers yet, so they aren't attracted to the pollen. I was weeding in that bed and they were flying right up to me and hovering around - not in a threatening way, but seemed more curious. While I mowed the grass, one or the other followed me back and forth, back and forth. Every once in a while one of them will appear to chase the other one off, but soon enough there are two again. What do you think they're doing? Do bumblebees have hives?

Just wondering!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That sounds like here, too. Nothing but the big guys, and I’ve wondered if they were “carpenter bees,” as well. Yes, they aren’t agressive, just curious. We do have a few flowers blooming. @addy1?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say carpenter bees, they are following me around.

The smaller bumble bees make summer only nests, with pollen nectar etc.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@addy1 - maybe you'll know the answer to this one. We've had a few big bumblebees (the REALLY big ones) hanging around one of our flower beds the last week or so. No flowers yet, so they aren't attracted to the pollen. I was weeding in that bed and they were flying right up to me and hovering around - not in a threatening way, but seemed more curious. What do you think they're doing?

It's spring, so Queen Bumble bees have emerged and are searching for a place to nest. They look everywhere and anywhere for the perfect spot to lay their eggs. Unlike most native bees, they do live in colonies. I used to have a colony that lived in my front yard next to my house. I even had an issue where they kept getting in my basement and I'd have to catch & release them. That problem seems to have gone away, thankfully.

I sadly killed one a few days ago as I was closing my shed door and didn't know she was there. Felt bad when I opened the door the next day. An entire colony wiped out in an instant. At least her death happened because I was hard at work on my new rain garden, which will help thousands of native bees. (y)

It's easy to tell carpenter bees from bumble bees. At least around here, the carpenter bees are shiny and have better posture. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
@addy1 - maybe you'll know the answer to this one. We've had a few big bumblebees (the REALLY big ones) hanging around one of our flower beds the last week or so. No flowers yet, so they aren't attracted to the pollen. I was weeding in that bed and they were flying right up to me and hovering around - not in a threatening way, but seemed more curious. While I mowed the grass, one or the other followed me back and forth, back and forth. Every once in a while one of them will appear to chase the other one off, but soon enough there are two again. What do you think they're doing? Do bumblebees have hives?

Just wondering!

I would be letting out a blood curdling scream that would break glass.

Wasps and bumblebees are my kryptonite.

Bees, no problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How is a bumblebee not a bee @texmaster ? These are very inquisitive but not at all threatening. They just hovered around watching me work.

upload_2018-5-10_19-0-17.png

Not a great picture, but here's one of my friends. Bumblebee or carpenter's bee?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
How is a bumblebee not a bee @texmaster ? These are very inquisitive but not at all threatening. They just hovered around watching me work.

View attachment 110505

Not a great picture, but here's one of my friends. Bumblebee or carpenter's bee?

A bee is a bee. Small and nice. A bubblebee is a HUGE BEE with tattoos, noserings and small arms.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh I 100% agree with that @Mmathis - this year my goal is to avoid any encounters with yellow jackets! They are THE WORST!
We mostly have red wasps here (or at least at my house), but I was seeing some hornet-looking things last summer. Never caused a problem though, so think they were just passing through. I have to take the “bee guards” out of my hummer feeders because they are all YELLOW, and the “asshole” category is attracted to yellow! Now, why don’t hummer feeder manufacturers key in to this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Love the picture @Mmathis It's so true!! My wife is highly allergic to honey bees and we found out that just because you're allergic to one type of bee it doesn't mean you're allergic to all bees. We were on a long road trip coming back to Texas when a bumble bee got into the car and ended up on my wife's seat. When she got in and sat back the bee got angry and started stinging her in the back. We went back into the store and got a couple of benadryl (which cost way too much) and she took a long nap, but it was nothing more than a raised bump and went away altogether in a few hours. IF it had been a honey bee she would have been in a lot of trouble.

Ask a Question