Bees, Bees and more Bees!!!

Reaction score
I have Bees all over my waterfall! Is this just part of having a pond? I would love to get rid of them as I have a 6 and 4 year old that play in the yard all the time. Does anyone else have a big problem with them in the yard? They just started coming around as the weather is heating up. Really concerned, mostly for my boys. Thanks!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Do you have a plant they like around the fall ?

Reaction score
I have large bumblebees land on top of the water to drink. Very cool actually. They hover above the water, drop down on the surface to drink then fly off. Bees will take water into a hive to add humidity when too dry as well as drink. Plants can give them a platform to drink from if they don't just land on the water surface.

Bees looking for water should not be a problem for your boys. The bees are just thirsty but I do understand your concern.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nakish66 said:
I have Bees all over my waterfall! Is this just part of having a pond? I would love to get rid of them as I have a 6 and 4 year old that play in the yard all the time. Does anyone else have a big problem with them in the yard? They just started coming around as the weather is heating up. Really concerned, mostly for my boys. Thanks!

My pond in arizona always has bees around it, they never caused any stings. It is so dry there, they just come for the water.

Reaction score
Nova said:
I have large bumblebees land on top of the water to drink. Very cool actually. They hover above the water, drop down on the surface to drink then fly off. Bees will take water into a hive to add humidity when too dry as well as drink. Plants can give them a platform to drink from if they don't just land on the water surface.

Bees looking for water should not be a problem for your boys. The bees are just thirsty but I do understand your concern.

Thank you! I think because the water puddles in some of the rocks in the falls it makes it easier for them to drink. I just don't want the boys to get stung and then be fearful of the backyard all because I wanted to put in a pond.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
My pond in arizona always has bees around it, they never caused any stings. It is so dry there, they just come for the water.

Thanks Addy! It's suppose to be 119 here tomorrow! They have heat warnings on all the news channels. I guess it's the hottest it has been this early in the summer in five years. Not looking forward to it :)

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
I hope you don't get rid of them.. Bees in our country aren't fairing too well and we need them to pollinate. There's a disease going around descimating our bee population. Unless the bees are aggressive, I'm sure they stop off to drink as well. Consider yourself lucky..

I have a 6yr old and 4yr old as well. I had to get rid of bees when they decided to LIVE in our patio wall. I didn't want to do it and looked for a bee "moving" company, but it had to be done. I totally get where your coming from.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I would just let the bees be
bees222.gif
hap4th34.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nakish66 said:
Thanks Addy! It's suppose to be 119 here tomorrow! They have heat warnings on all the news channels. I guess it's the hottest it has been this early in the summer in five years. Not looking forward to it :lol:

Did you live there the year it hit 124, it was around the 4th of july? that really sucked! keep cool, drink lots.........

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Did you live there the year it hit 124, it was around the 4th of july? that really sucked! keep cool, drink lots.........

I'm in the AF and just got stationed over at Luke AFB. We've only been here about a year and a half. This heat is unreal! Now I see why the snowbirds leave :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aww luke afb, my house is in the northwest part of the valley, pinnacle 51st ave Every now and then fighter jets would zoom over on training runs

The heat can be horrible, much prefer being cold. Can't blame the snowbirds lol.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if you have somewhere you can put it away from your children try putting a saucer of sugar water out, bees love it, it might keep them away from your waterfall, it saves a lot of bees from dieing in very hot weather

Ask a Question