Bees Dying?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Has anyone else noticed Bumble Bees (Carpenter Bees) dying? I have seen some dead ones on my patio. My grandson said he's seen quite a few at his school dead. I don't know if it had anything to do with the cold winter or if it's something else.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can thank MONSANTO for that. or should they be called MONSATAN? and also BAYER on a lesser scale..... GMOs from Monsanto and their bottled pesticides, namely ROUNDUP.. and Bayers pesticides.

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Has anyone else noticed Bumble Bees (Carpenter Bees) dying?

Carpenter Bees and Bumble Bees are different types of bees.
I saw a Bumble Bee yesterday, but I've never seen any dead.
There might be something in your area causing them to die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fungicides, herbicides, pesticides are all contributing. They killed off thousands of bees in the almond orchards in california. They sprayed a fungicide that was deadly to the bee. A lot of professional bee keepers lost a whole lot of hives.

We spray with nothing in our little part of the world.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I looked it up, ours are carpenter bees. We've just always called them bumble bees. We don't spray or use insecticides at all. And since we are in the city, and not close to any farms, I wouldn't think it would be that. I was just wondering if it could of been the harsh winter.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We don't spray or use insecticides at all. And since we are in the city, and not close to any farms, I wouldn't think it would be that. I was just wondering if it could of been the harsh winter.

Cities are the most polluted areas. It could be anything. Bees as a whole are on a decline, but finding so many dead in your area makes me think they had to have gotten into something. Thats not saying its something you did, since bees travel quite a range, it could be anything in your area.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
altho maybe not responsible for the bee deaths your inquiring on...bees are responsible for the polination of so many plants... they can pick up pesticides from anywhere and carry them back to the hive. some GMOs, like corn, actually produce their own pesticides, if your interested, google "monsanto and bee deaths". its well known that these are responsible for bee deaths in large numbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The honey we eat experts have found are contaminated by Pesticides etc so we ourselves are taking this in personally I blame Gvernments first then the chemcal companies for using a product they know is responsibl for these death yet niether seem to want to do anything about it .
It's a little like global warming the government and the oil companies know its happening but are happy with the status quo , I feel really sorry for children born today , just think what sort of enviroment we are leaving them
At least the car manufacturers are starting to produce Electric cars a little too late but hey it all goes to help

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada

bumble-carpenter.jpg

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-tell-difference-between-carpenter-bees-5897234.html

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Carpenter bees do not live in hives, they are solitary insects that bore holes into wood to lay their eggs at the ends of the tunnels. The effects of bringing insecticides back to the nest, therefore, would not devastate large numbers of individuals as it would with honey bees.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I have a lot of carpenter bees in my area (only in the last several years have I seen them). They seem to be very fond of the pressure treated decks and fences of suburbia, the chemicals used for the pressure treatment of said decks and fences, could be another contributing factor to their alleged demise.

Ask a Question