Bees

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I stuck this in the aquatic plant section, b/c my lavender plant is beside my canal and lower pond, which you can barely see, along with an aquatic plant in this aerial view. The lavender plant attracts a ton of bees all summer like nothing else can. I think they like my Russian sage as well.

Growing up, I didn't really like bees b/c I got stung a couple of times. But realizing the plight of honey bees in recent years and considering how much good they do for nature and us, I've become a fan of bees. Sorry you can't see the bees in the picture, but just thought you'd like to see

ry%3D480

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, I have planted lavender, sage, bee balm and a ton other plants the bees like. Even the wildflower field is bee related.

Glad to see you doing this!

The other plant they love is salvia and it blooms all summer.

Reaction score
I bought Salvia not knowing what it was and planted it next to the pond..tons of bees!! I have thought about relocating it but it looks really good where I plopped it and the bees haven't bothered me so it might get to stay there.

Reaction score
I have 2 hives of bees within 50' of my pond. They love the Purple pickerel as do the bumblebees. They also like to land on the lily pads and drink. As long as you don't step on them, they will not hurt you. When one falls in to a puddle in my garden I just reach down and pull them out.

I have taught some of my friends some great lessons about bees. The first time they see me pull open a hive and stick my face 6" off of where the bees are inside they about die. Then when I start pulling up frames, all while not wearing any protective clothing, they start to realize how gentle real honey bees are.
Bees are trying to make a comeback. And some pockets of genetics are coming out for bees that are more resistent to their latest diseases. Enjoy them and remember how much they do for us.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to save bees in my arizona swim pool, was always scooping them out.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
blessedfamily said:
I bought Salvia not knowing what it was and planted it next to the pond..tons of bees!! I have thought about relocating it but it looks really good where I plopped it and the bees haven't bothered me so it might get to stay there.

You know salvia is also smoked by the young kids these days gives you some sort of high. So if your salvia keeps getting cut down this might be why....:regular_waving_emot:lol:

Reaction score
I have lavender around the upper waterfall on the pond and a single hive of bees about 20 feet away. The bees love it and they like the source of water for them. It's important to do what we can to keep bee colonies thriving and strong. We now have 9 hives in our community and I'm planning on adding another story to our hive soon.

Reaction score
I am used to watching my neighbors bees come drink at my pond. Yesterday though, they swarmed and I got way more than I bargained for. There were so many that they broke a branch off my plum tree~! Seemed like millions. I live about 1 1/2 blocks from a major highway, and you could not hear the traffic over the bees. She came over with a box, and somehow managed to find the queen and get her in it. The rest just marched right in :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind learning how to do hives. With all of our flowers planted for bees I have started seeing a lot of honey bees buzzing around now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I usually see lots of yellow jackets by this time but this year I don't see hardly any............no nests or anything. They also help pollinate. So do ants and many other insects. Got to keep the bees buzzing
Bee_hive_2.gif

Reaction score
Wow, most of you are brave. I am petrified of bees. Most of my plants are fake and that (along with the fact that I am a terrible gardener) is one of the reasons: bees. I try to not harm bumblebees or honeybees, but yellow jackets, hornets and wasps are NOT my friends. I have been their victim too many times, I guess. I also have bees sometimes that drill holes in my deck and leave little sawdust piles...not sure if they sting, but I've never personally been attacked by one.

Reaction score
I usually see lots of yellow jackets by this time but this year I don't see hardly any............no nests or anything. They also help pollinate. So do ants and many other insects. Got to keep the bees buzzing
Bee_hive_2.gif
You are probably not seeing yellow jackets because they have all moved into my yard, ha ha. They keep showing up on the porch but I can't find the nest. I know I do not want to find it by accident...my son did that once and was stung a bunch of times. Any ideas how to track those things?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you just sit and watch them you can usually see where they constantly fly to. We have ones that like to live under ground. This year have seen very few, usually they are swarming the downed apples.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry Tisha for sending my yellow jackets packing to your place, lol! I try not to bother them unless like you say they are near my porch. I knock the nests down and they rebuild, I knock it down and they rebuild again and again. Have to leave my hose boxes lid open cuz they love to go inside and make nests on the underside of lid. This may sound weird but I discovered they don't like my human spit so I spit a little on my finger and rubbed it where the nest was and they don't like it one bit. Told you it was weird.
This year I am seeing more mud wasps hanging around the pond and wet areas. Never had so many before. They don't seem to bother me tho. Just getting a drink and messing in the dirt mainly.

Ask a Question