before and after pictures :)

Reaction score
Hi

So I'm not really new here but I haven't posted very often.

I will reintroduce myself and my ponds

We bought a house 2 years ago, that had three ponds in the back yard. But it a terrible shape for one of them ( 1000 galon that were just a big hole collecting rain water from the neighbor's yard = ton of mud) no pump or filtration system... the fish were having a hard time.
It's been cleaned and we have had to have the surroundings redone to deviated the rainwater and protect the pond.

One 2nd pond (approximately 500 galon) with a pump and waterfall feature, beautiful but no filter... being under a tree it really needed one.
The 3rd little pond next to this last one is a lot smaller, and round...

Here are some before and after work pictures? We still don't have plants, they will be in the stores in 2 weeks max, I will get underwtaer plants for oxygen, surface plants for shade and helping balance the chemistry of the water, limit the growth of algae, and some "in between plants" to just make the pond look beautiful and give some more places to hide for the fish (already have 3 beautiful water lilies )

This is just for the biggest pond... I can't wait for my iris to be out and my aquatic plants also. I've also bought aquatic lights that i have to install as soon as the all water landscaping will be done :)

You can see during the cleaning there was one foot of mud at the bottom. For now still a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 663

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a bunch of work for you, but sure looking better.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sure was a lot of work but sure you are happy you got it done and over with and are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Reaction score
yes.. definitely... that spot was a dead place in our back yard, filthy, bugs everywhere... it's now the centerpiece and very relaxing... and it's still not finished... :)

being able to see the fish is so great lol

So happy to share here these great experiences :)

Reaction score
Thx, but we didn't do much... lol the team who came spent a huge amount of hours reorganizing the rocks that used to lead the rain water straight into that pond... they dug a dry creek behind to divert and slow the flow of rain waters. And we have had plants planted to block rainwater and also kind of filtrate it when we have big storms.

We are learning a lot... ponds are a lot of work... and 3 ponds is just enough to drive someone crazy lol but we're getting there :)

thx a lot for the encouragements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looks great! Good job. I love the second pic of you all covered in pond gunk :) Now that is serious ponding fun there ;)

Don't worry, once you get them all done set up and planted they tend to take care of themselves for the most part. The work is getting them to that point. After that a little maintenance here and there and bobs your uncle. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well we will throw all the pond gunk your way pecan and you never know may be the next thing to a youthful beauty cream ,you may get rich lol
Looks great! Good job. I love the second pic of you all covered in pond gunk :) Now that is serious ponding fun there ;)

Don't worry, once you get them all done set up and planted they tend to take care of themselves for the most part. The work is getting them to that point. After that a little maintenance here and there and bobs your uncle. :)

Reaction score
Thx all.
But we have had a bad surprise with all the rain yesterday.

I created a new topic in "water chemistry" but whoever wants to reply here it's fine.

The water just became as opaque as it was before the cleaning. before the rain is was all fine, now it looks like back to square 1 or even 0... So don't know what to do. :(

Ask a Question