Beginner Bog Builder w/lots of ?

Reaction score
Ok, I wanted to make the bog bigger, but had to attached some liner, which pond guy did for me. However, due to it being so wrinkled and layered together at the bottom of the water spill into the bog, it's not going to lay very flat no matter what. So, I'm going to have fairly large folds and wondered if that will be ok. Also, the liner is not going to allow me to shape the bog how I was wanting it...but we can't always have what we want, and I'll make the best of what I have. Which is all of you guys :wave:
The most important thing I need advice on, is the plumbing. I don't know at all about what parts I should be using. So, I took a picture of what I have and hopefully I'll understand what it is I should be doing. Mostly, I need to know how and what to use when tying into the main tube running up to the falls. The picture shows where I have dug down to the tube. And, what size show I be using for the pvc filter tubing, that will go into the bog? I know how to make the filter part that will lay down in the bottom of the bog. Just not what size of piping to use.
bog build 015.JPGbog build 019.JPGbog build 021.JPGbog build 010.JPGbog build 006.JPGbog build 004.JPG

And, one more thing, I have two different kinds of underlay liner. Does it make a difference which one to use?

Peace and Good Cheers,
Susan

Reaction score
i dont think it does, some people use old carpet as underlayment. Have you found the bog instructional thread that addy started? The piping in the bottom of the bog will need to be PVC, I wouldn't use flexable tubing, and I used 2" as the output tubing. the input to the bog can be smaller, I believe mine is 1 1/4" to 2" with a 2" cleanout cap on each 2" pipe.

Reaction score
I have read the thread on Bog building 101...twice. And I want to use the pvc down in the bob. But, first I have to get the water flow down into it. the only way I can do that is to tap into the flexable line that takes water from the pump in the skimmer to the biofalls. It's 4,000 gph, so I can tap into that and run the short flex line underground till it pops out at the edge of the retainer wall and just over the bog. Then, from that run the pvc. What I need to know is what would be the best way to tap into that flex hose? And, then from the tapped in flex hose that I used to tap into the flex hose, to pvc. What would be the best parts to use to join them together? Can I use anything that I already have that is shown in the picture?
I've never worked with these kind of things...only because I've never had to, or I'd be sharing pics of my bog already. But, I don't want to dig it right back up because I didn't use the right fittings in the first place and it sprung a leak...u no? I hope someone does, and can share that with me :ideacyclops:

Thanks,
Susan

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check here
Looks like you need barbed fittings , lower right corner

http://www.flexiblep...Tubing_s/24.htm

If you use one with the barb on one end and screw on the other you could screw it into a pvc connection then onto the pvc

You need a t for the flex then go to the pvc from one part of the T
Your picture shows the barbed fittings, but not a T for flex

If you had two barbed fittings, that could be put into the flex piping, that fit into the rubber T, you could then insert the pvc in the third leg of the rubber T.

Reaction score
Thank you addy for the link. I might have what I need, but the more I read the more I wonder about just exactly how I want to do this. But I better figure it out fast before the rain comes back. I don't want the water in the pond to sit for long, either. Although I do have a couple of bubblers going...but still not enough for long time.

And Brandonsdad, thank you for sharing what you did, too. I am figuring out I have alot to learn! Right now, I've spent so much time messing with one thing or another with regards to the pond, that I've slacked on handling my source of income. I am lacking the funds to do much of anything except to work withwhat I have...or get busy at work to make some money!
I am challenged with what to do...make money or beat the rain. But I really don't want to have to redo anything.
The flex line is really thick and it just doesn't get ccold enough where I live for it to break. But, then again, I do live in constant quake land, where there are hundreds of small tremors a month...even in a week, sometimes.
I do like the idea of running the pvc from the skimmer, though. But, I'd have to get another pump just for the bog. Isuppose I could do that in the future easy enough. Something I think I will probably even do. But for now could I get away with using--wow I forgot what they are called...reducers??---and then later just cap it off?
If I risk the chance of having to dig up the flex hose (one running already from pump to biofalls) later becuase of my tying into now and not being able to adiquitly cap it off and ultimately having to replace the whole thing(tube)...then I will not even worry about the rain and just get to work.
But, if it will work to do what I'm wanting to do now...that would help me to be able to take care of a number of other issues related to finishing up the whole pond project. ie; fence to keep dog out, so dog can come back to yard and keep cats and their poops out. sod planting, sprinkler system put back in, etc.
I don't have help and do this by ,myself so I like to try and keep things as simple as possible.
Thanks...sorry so long,
Susan

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
One thing for sure I would say be take a step back and be com.
If your Turtles are safe and happy plus they are slowing down now that it is winter where they are then you can slow up and do it right the first time.
And not worry about leaks and having to dig it back up to fix it.

First the better of the 2 lines to use is PVC a little more on the budget but the long run it will save you a headache.
My experience that flex tubing gets hard and cracks in cold weather all by itself, Inside the pond and in warm weather it do's well but cold weather and outside the pond not so good.
You might get a few seasons out of it. But PVC you will get years out of it.
PVC is real easy to work with and they have so many fittings and you can use the glue with a pond just make sure it is dry before pond water gets circulated.

A couple of things I would advice to start with. where you are taping in to the flex tubing
I would recomend
A diverted Valve (Gate Valve) either going to the falls or the bog. this way you can maximize flow of water to the falls or the bog.
Water will take the easiest path witch would be straight and there will be very little water making the turn to the bog.
This way you can even the flow or push more water to where ever you want.
I would also advise
That if you can at this connection go up above ground and back down that way if you do need to adjust or fix it in the future it is not burried.
or
get a plastic box or pot to go around it and cover it that way you have easy access when needed.

Looking at your parts it would all depend on the size you are going with on weather you can use them or not.
I would say that if you want even flow for a bog then do not reduce the pipe to a smaller size.
Reducing will give you more preasure but will cut down the volume of water to the bog.
And I think (Not a Bog expert) you would want a water volume with even flow not a pressurized fire hose. :razz:

Looking good
Best advice I have ever gotten
Take your time and have fun with it.

Ruben

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
This is my bog build thread that I did for mine. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/9394-bog-finishedmostly/ Its not as detailed as others on the site here, but it was really hot and humid the day that I made it and took around 4 hrs to make. I did have to do some minor changes this fall to the bog after the force of the water and gravel started pushing things apart. Some 10" screws and it was fixed.

Reaction score
Hi...I've been a bit under the weather, but today I finally got to go out and work on the bog. I got the pump on and everything looks like it's going to hold. I ran some pipe, but haven't hooked up the bog filter yet. Still have to make that. I was wondering how it would work if I just got some flexable pvc and ran it in a circular pattern inside the bog. Just one line. Do you think that would work alright?
I checked out Aquascape plumbing parts, and they have a Y that would work for what I'm doing. Thought I'd put a water flow control valve (on the pvc pipe) just before the water drops down into the bog. Anyways here's a pic of what I was able to do with the liner that was added. I plane on running a board/log across later on. I put blocks all around the outside edge and covered them with dirt and beach stones (no pic of that). Tomorrow I'm going to make the pvc filter and fill the bog with rock and pea gravel.
bog build 005.JPGbog build 006.JPG

Reaction score
Wow, Brandonsdad...just checked out the bog you made and I really like that. Mines only big because I have two turtles and well, they can really be quite messy. Want to have as much filteration as possible to lower the workload on me. I don't know what I'm going to do about plants yet. It's not going to be easy because turtles like to eat them. So I need to have a lot all at once so that the plants have a good chance, before the turtles minimize the opportunity for the plants to get established. I don't know alot about pond plants either, so it's going to be a bit of a challenge I think.
I'll check in later...gonna go rest for a bit.
^_^

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
We have 2 sliders that live in my pond. We had about 4 sliders last year in our pond but they seemed to keep getting out. There is a large field behind our house so figured they were playing in the field. Towards late summer last year one if our turts just never left. She made it thru the winter and thru the pond rebuild this spring. This fall when I cleaning leaves out of the pond I saw one of run away turtles back in our pond again. No clue where she came from but glad she is back. As far as plants for your bog, I had a lot of help from addy, she helped me get it going with plants. The more plants the better.

I don't think the flex pipe will work very well because you have to put holes in your pipe for the water feed in the bog. The holes in the flex would make really weak plus the weight of the rock on the flex pipe and I think it's just asking for more problems down the road. I have had to dig up my bog to fix the pipe but I'm sure it's not fun. You heat up PVC to bend it just no real sharp bends. I did as addy did with her bog pipes and cut the slits in the PVC with a circular saw. My bog isn't as big as I would like it but my water is crystal clear.

Thanks, the frame was the hardest part to build. Just had to start at the deepest spot and work towards the pond. I didn't have much room since the fence was already in place. I also didn't want it dumping right next to the skimmer box but next spring when I add my other skimmer box ill change where the pump for the bog is.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Don't have a Bog So excuse me if this is just a stupid question.

But in Pond42sliders case (Her Bog)
Since it is already being fed from the Water Fall do's she need to put in the pvc pipe for the water.

Or is it a case where depth plays a part ?

As hers do's not look that deep so was thinking maybe with the water flow she has would be enough or maybe a bigger pump.

Ruben

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Imho bogs work best (ones with pea gravel) with the water flowing up through the gravel, not over it. She is putting in pvc piping, so the water will flow up through the gravel then back into the pond.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Yes, the whole idea for the bog is to have the plants and gravel do the filtering. The water has to flow up from the bottom and filter thru all the stuff before it returns to the pond.

Ask a Question