Beginner Bog Builder w/lots of ?

Reaction score
Well I didn't get around to building the filter, yet. Had to clean up the yard, before the storm hit. And, it was a good one, too. I was so worried about the bog...overflowing, shore washing away, water flowing under the liner...you name it, i was worrying about it. Every couple hours i would wander out in the rain to check things out. Like, what did I think I was going to do about it if it did all start washing away?
:umbrella:
Yeah, I don't think I have too much to worry about...not after what already happened, when it did actually wash away. No, I built this one myself this time, and after checking every couple hours in the pouring..................POURING down rain................I'm pretty confindent it's built to last :claphands:! Now I just need to finish it! And, I should probably create some sort of overflow. One that is more than just the hole in the back of the skimmer. What can I say...I'm just a true newbie. But, a good one :cheerful:.

Cheers to Peace,
Susan

Reaction score
i have a couple questions, first is putting a ball valve gonna be ok? I just thought it would be good to have not only for flow control, but to close it off when flushing the pipes. I'm going to have three pipes. I know the bog isn't that big but, wouldn't it make for better filtering if I had three? Or should I just have two? I'm using 1 inch pvc, but at the end of one pipe i'm dropping down to 3/4 for about 12 inches and then capping it off. And the other question is about the rocks. Why pea gravel? Can I just use small river stone? The bog is about 12 inches at it's deepest and about 4 inches around some of the shore edge. Here's a few more pics.
bog 001.jpgbog 002.jpgbog 005.jpg

Thanks,
Susan

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main reason for pea gravel is surface area. I have ball valves in my set up, makes it easy to control flow, shut off flow etc.
I have two, two inch pipes, bottom of bog is around 4 feet wide. The more piping the more flow through the gravel you will have.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
The size of your pipe should be based to the size of your pump. With my above ground bog, I have 1 1/2 PVC pipe in mine. I have one pipe running down the center with the end smashed closed. I forgot to get a cap when getting the rest of the stuff so I just heated up the end and stepped on it. It was mostly smashed down with small hole on each end to have water spray out the end. I have ball valve on mine too.

Reaction score
My pump/filter runs 4000 gph and is pumped from the skimmer up to the biofalls, which the water tthen flows over into a shallow basin. From there in splits and goes over the main fall and the smaller spill goes into the bog, which then spills back into the pond. That was all built for me (I had to rebuild the bog because they would not do what I am doing here), but they used 1" heavy duty no twist corrigated pipe to run from the pump up to the falls. They burried it underground, but I am tying into that just before it goes in the back of the biofalls bin.

That's why I went with the 1" pvc pipe. I really don't know about this sort of thing but I thought using a bigger pipe would take away from whatever was needed for the main fall. But now that i think more about it, maybe that doesn't matter because it only needs to fill the bin to be able to fall over the top. I haven't glued anything together yet, except the ball valve, which I can still change...should I go up a size in the pvc pipe? I have to use a 1" Y for the split that also is 1" pipe running to the ball valve. But, am I understanding correctly, that I can then move up to 1 1/2 or 2" pvc for the bog filter....coming off the 1" pipe already in place?

I was going to assemble the rest of it today, but want to do it the best way......not do it all over, again. Oh, and the only reason I was adding the 3/4 inch pipe at the very end was because it will be running through a very shallow area at the outside end of the bog.

Thanks again for all the help and advice,
Susan

Reaction score
That's why I'm doing this. I have both mech and bio filtering for the entire pond, and the bog is part of the whole system. So, adding the pvc pipe with the pond water flowing through, can only be a benifit the whole eco system.

Reaction score
I'm going to go read that post again. Can't remember the title...something like "bog building 101". Read it twice already, but in the beginning, where there is supposed to be pictures there aren't any. Just part of a link that can't be used. I know later on in the thread there are some pictures, somewhere....it's a long thread

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They did a update after I posted the thread so links were broken, which pictures do you need?
I am not currently home, on line just off and on, will watch to see if I can post the pictures you need.
cleanoutbog.jpg

Reaction score
Oh thank you addy. But, I started reading through it and got a pretty good understanding of how it works now. I mean I'd be making an appointment with a Head Doctor if I didn't get it this time..... Third time, always the charm....clingalingaling :blueflower:
No need, I got the picture. But thank you for checking in and offering.
Susan

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear! I love how my bog takes care of my pond. So far no algae issues, nice and clean water, happy fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't either, honey didn't want one. We have a rubber coupling, also a t with a ball valve we can flush it if we want to. The few times we have drained it to work on pipes nothing has come out.

Reaction score
Ok, guys...I had to finish my bog filter (even with an almost well leg). It wasn't that hard and my neighbor gave me a hand. I still need to add more pea gravel and it isn't sitting down under the rocks as far as I would like. But I'll get to that. The only problem I'm having is there is a very slight leak in one end of the tee thingy I built. It isn't even so much as a drip but I can feel a bit of moisture. Is there anything I can goop on it that will take care of it, before I bury it underground? Here are a few pics...it works great!!
finished bog 025.jpgfinished bog 026.jpg

Ask a Question