Beginner Filtering and algae questions

Reaction score
I'm delighted to have finally discovered Garden Ponds and hoping I can get some solid, reliable, and unbiased help -- because I desperately need advice on filtration and algae control.

Here are the stats:

We're in southern California near Pasadena, and have two small, separate ponds that we've had for about three years. Unlike most of you, we're not pond aficionados. Instead, we're birders and the ponds provide an attraction for the birds; the ponds are also neat for us to see and hear.

Both ponds have a dozen small mosquito fish and we're not planning to stock the ponds with more fish.

Each pond holds about 200 gallons; they're about the same size, roughly 14-inches deep and 4- by 5-feet oblong.

They both have a cascading waterfall (with small pooling above) that's about one foot higher than the surface of the pond.

Each pond is built on rubber liners with rocks in and around the sides (I've heard the problems they incur, but we're stuck with them); there's no bottom drain.

The two Laguna Powerjet 3000 submersible pumps (1250gph; inlet: 1-inch barb; outlet: 3/4-inch barb) are connected to (don't faint) underwater mechanical/biological filters (similar to this: http://amzn.to/MAdKYd ).

The ponds are under trees, one in partial sun; neither are covered (that'd discourage the birds). Leaves often drop into the ponds which we scoop our every other day.

So the inevitable problems you already know about, but we didn't: Lots of string algae and filters that need almost daily cleaning, an onerous, nasty chore that's often ignored.

I've done lots of research and talked with plenty of pond consultants and online stores. One offered external Laguna filters the size of small garbage pails. Another suggested Cutrine Plus and Superbug.

Which of the dozens of external filters would best fit our ponds and existing pumps?

What's the best algae control chemicals?

Thanks,

Steve

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze had to pick my self up off the floor :razz: but welcome anyway .Yes in water filters are not loved here and don't work they just keep the mess in the water rather than out .Not very deep for the hot summer months .There are no algae control quick fixes and most are not even allowed to be sold in California as they cause cancer .I would never use them i just use old fashioned peroxide .

Reaction score
Hello fellow Californian! I actually was born in Glendale and lived in Pasadena as a kid! Not sure if it will help alot but I have been told that bluing (like for laundry) is what a lot of farmers and ranchers use http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/otheruses.htm. It is safe for the animals and I know a lot of folks that use it in birdbaths to keep it clean. Not positive on the mosquito fish though....I have some but our pond is for koi and 4,500 gallons (that little bottle wouldn't do much).

Reaction score
I use barley straw as well and they do sell barley extract, that is sort of a quick fix. You can buy Algae -Fix in CA (at least up here) but I am afraid of that with my critters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No I spray my rocks with the pump off and spray any areas effected and then turn my pumps back on .I never had any luck with barley it just became a slimy mess and thats why i go with peroxide .I even clean and soak my filters in it with water mixed in kills the algae cells on them ..Odd because most of the sights i go on it says they do not ship algae fix to California .I have never used because of the cancer causing warning that was enough to scare me away from it .I sometimes wonder why the make it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh and by the way some laugh at me because i use lava rock in my filters but it works for me .Quilt batting helps pick up all the fine algae if you have a waterfall to put a basket of it under so the quilt batting can pick all the yucky algae up .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Happy to offer you a laugh.

That's all it'll take -- just dump in some peroxide? Diluted?

I used to use peroxide in my arizona pond to fight the string algae, I would use 1 liter per 1000 gallons of water. I had fish in the pond, goldfish, and they did fine with the treatment.

and
animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif

we will attempt to give you "solid, reliable, and unbiased help"

Reaction score
I use in water filters. In my little pond, which sounds almost the same as yours I do have a lot of issues with storebought pond equipment. The filters need cleaned every other day and it drivers me bonkers, but my koi pond (which is so new I may not be able to talk about it with any authority yet) I have sump pumps buried in various filter materials in a small bucket. The bucket has spiralling holes on the sides so it can suck in aglae at different depths. Most of the filtering is done through the top opening of the bucket though, and the sump pumps are so powerful they just suck and suck and suck, yet the bucket diffuses the power enough that it's safe for fish to swim around. I can see leaves in the filter, grass clippings, some uneaten food, dirt, clay, and of course it's caked with algae. It takes a really long time for these filters to finally bog down and lose suction, and when that happens I pull it to the surface and replace the very top layer of filter material with a new one, the lower ones are usually good to go. I used this exact set up in my small pond, and while the 1000gph pumping in my 200g pond was way overkill, you better believe it was clean. This set up is really cheap too, $10 bucket, $60 sump pump, $10 worth of hose, and whatever filter material fits your fancy.

Reaction score
I once made a pre filter the size of a garbage can...still clogged. I moved the pump to be after the skimmer basket which was easier to clean. I also started vacuuming the pond so less crap went into the skimmer. Was easier once I got a head of it. I came to the conclusion that foam filters on pumps were worthless and I just toss them straight off. But I did have to protect them from string algae, so behind the skimmer basket they went.

Ask a Question