Benaficial Bacteria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
So I am building a new bog to help with the filtration of my pond. I have come across the subject of beneficial that can be added to the pond.

I am inclined to believe that adding this to my pond would be unnecessary, as my pond is established and the bacteria should already be present in the pond.

This still leaves me with questions like if I add this bacterial culture to the water will the colonization take place sooner.

Is this store bot bacteria somehow “bigger stronger and faster” than the bacteria that is in my pond? Let’s see how many of you are old enough to know that quote?

I have read several articles on the net touting this stuff as the best thing since sliced bread, to a farce and a complete waste of money.

Of course the sites that are lauding it the most are trying to sell it to you which I also find suspect.

I was wondering if anyone has used these products or has an opinion on it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I added a bog to my established pond and never needed to add anything other then the plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I stopped using store bought BB, to see for myself if I really needed it.
The first year of not using bought BB I struggled a little with smell and algae, but the second year I upped the number of plants and all was fine...so maybe some ponds can benefit from (some) store bought products, and others don't need them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!
This is what I suspected. I don't have allot of experience with ponds but I do with fish tanks. When I started a new tank I would take filter media out of an established tank and put in the new one. It would always make the tank cycle faster. I am sure my little creak has plenty of bacteria in it just waiting to colonize a new home.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add nothing to my pond, the bog and plants take care of it just fine.

Ask a Question