bend goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Garden Pond oval 10 x 5 x2 ft. & fish inherited with the bungalow 10 years ago.

Last & this year 4 fish died after they turned bend & floating for 1-2 months before dying seemingly unable to feed.

I was advise to soak the food pellets in "detox" powder but, did not help.

Yesterday the pond was drained & cleaned & refiled & 6 healthy looking retrieved G.Fish, 6 nukes with the water lilies & Iris plants were put back.

Any body knows what causes this illness of the fish? to help avoiding happening again? .....thanx .....nick

Attachments

• DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 291
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi MitchM again,

The swimming pool I used to test & chlorinate, what do you do with a fishpond.

Also I do not use filter here. .......nick

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of us use API Master kit — it’s a drop test and not strips — but in a pinch strips will do. We usually test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH, and GH.

Your info is a little vague with not quite enough information for us to be able to help, so, yes go ahead and get a test kit. Let us know what the numbers of the various tests read.

So, no filter, but do you have a pump that circulates the water? Oh, and how big are your fish, what is “detox” powder, what is a “nuke,” and where do you live? And when you change the water, do you add a dechlorinator to the water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx,

I am in S.Bucks,, fish 2-4", nuke?? a small (1-2 ") lizard like creature, correct name pls?, never used dechlorinator or test kit the last 10 yrs, Detox was what in the shop somebody said is good for bend fish???.

Yes I have a small pump giving a circular spray 15-18" diameter 24 7 deaerating the water a bit.

Is this OK "£40 Hozelock Ecocel 2500 Pond Filter" if my pump can circulate through it?

What are these please "BIO Clear== GRAVITY? ==== UV system? == BIOLOGICAL"? & what shall I choose?

One maker says "box filter or multibay & a cheaper, slower and lower wattage pump", again is this a gimmick or it may work with my old cheap B&Q small pump?. ................nick

Attachments

• DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi MitchM again,

The swimming pool I used to test & chlorinate, what do you do with a fishpond.

Also I do not use filter here. .......nick

EDIT:
What do I put in my newly Tap Filled pond to stop it going green until I get a filter? ...thanx ....nick

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Stray electric currents are known to cause curvature of the spine.
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you "HARD", I was wondering about causes that would have caused it.

My small pump was getting on at 10yrs.

Now I was persuaded to get a "Laguna Powerclear" (£129) combined small pump, Filter & UV.

By the time of another tap water addition I'll get a small dechlorinator unit (£70) ....nick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was advised at the local Pond AQUA & bought an all in one submerged Laguna PowerClear Multi 3500/ with foam & bio brick filters, do I need an Air Stone, & where does it fit. .......thanx .....nick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, I seem to be talking to myself here?

Recently has been warm in the UK & although I installed the combined pump, bio & sponge filter with UVB two weeks ago, the pond water creates the floating stringy Algae (pls see attached) which also stick on the walls below the surface. Also the water is not crystal clear & seems cloudy, will my Blagdon "clear water" clear this?

Rain recently tops up the water level & I have DE chlorinator if tap water will have to be used. I am waiting for a water liquid meter to arrive. ..........thanx ...............nick

Attachments

• DSC_0086[1].JPG
    DSC_0086[1].JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0085[1].JPG
    DSC_0085[1].JPG
    220 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0084[1].JPG
    DSC_0084[1].JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 285

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@nichos Sorry you’re not getting many conversing with you. Maybe you can start a new thread that addresses whatever the most current issue you are dealing with. Since the original thread was “bend fish,” in the FISH AND KOI TALK topic, it’s possible that no one is following this one any more. When a conversation takes a new direction (starting with a fish-specific topic and changing into an equipment area.....), it’s common for the newest info to get lost along the way.

Ask a Question