Bending copper pipe for a waterfall inside a pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

For those who skipped the comedy section of this forum I fell backwards into my pond and impaled myself on the copper tube for the waterfall.

Read more here:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...en-to-you-how-my-pond-nearly-killed-me.22010/

Now that I've recovered I'm looking to bend this sucker back. Right now its bent completely over parralel to the bottom. Now this isn't a deep pond so draining will be easy but I have never bent copper tubing back in place. I'm semi handy. I can do electrical, some plumbing etc. But copper hasn't been in my wheelhouse. And with the bills I'd rather fix this myself. Is there an easy and safe way to bend this sucker back up?

Ideas appreciated :)

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I hope you are doing better. Is it standard 1/2 or 3/4" copper pipe, thick or thin walled? If it's close to a 90 degree bend I am not sure it can unbent without tearing the metal. They make wonderful no solder fittings (coupling in this case) if there is enough at the bottom below the bend to cut it and replace the bent section.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm pretty sure is 1/2 but my guess would be thin walled. ugh I wish I knew more about this but tearing the pipe is my fear as well

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It won't matter if your copper pipe has a thin wall or a thick one , the outside of the pipe will be the same .
Look up shark bite fittings

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I agree.
Cut and install an elbow.
Straightening probably isn't feasible.
You could even epoxy it together after roughing up the pipe with some 100 grit sandpaper.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
New twist. Friend of mine had one of these but I'm worried about #1 waterflow and #2 size.

This sucker is a 1 inch wide fountain head about 2 feet long and the bottom is threaded.

Its the middle one in the link.

http://www.southwestaquatics.net/oase-spiral-nozzle

I'm concerned because even if I decide to take the plunge the copper tubing obviously wont fit and the weight of this thing is substantial requiring a bottom mount of some kind in the pond and its a concrete floor so I'm sure it would not be wise to bolt a mount into the floor of the pond.

Anyone have any ideas? The warden wants to make it work because its purdy ;)

The next concern is waterflow but buying a new pump isn't that big of a deal. The concern I have is that since the existing pipe is only 1/2inch can I even get enough waterflow through a pipe that small to make this work?

Ask a Question