Beneficial Bacteria Questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Does beneficial bacteria require sunlight to survive/thrive? I have a 22" buffer pad that fits perfectly in the top on my 55 gallon bio filter. I am using the black irrigation tubing cut into 1 1/2" pieces as media for the bacteria to grow on. The tubing is in mesh bags because it kept going into the waterfall/pond from the outflow pipe. I was thinking that if I took the tubing out of the bag and put the buffer pad on top of it I might achieve better waterflow through the tubing, however, the buffer pad would block sunlight.

Also, do ya'll add beneficial bacter to your filters? If so, what kind to you use? Does this really help?

Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You don't need sun light for your bacteria to survive
I don't add any extra bacteria it just comes naturally

Reaction score
Depends on the species. Ammonia/nitrite converts Nitrosomonas/Nitrobacter do better in the dark.

My thinking on adding bacteria since Nitrosomonas may double every 7 hours and Nitrobacter every 13 hours I figure the ecosystem always has as much as can be supported. Can't really add more without increasing food, O2, KH, surface area. And if you add those things the new ecosystem would be filled in less time than it would take FedEx to deliver a bottle of something.

Same would go for bacteria that breaks down waste.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry to interrupt your bacteria thread riparks but just wanted to say what a lovely bird you have there as your avatar. My sis had one a few yrs ago but she gave it away to someone who could give it more attention.
Ok on w/ the bacteria!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks j.w., his name is Barney, he's a Lesser Sulfer Crested Cockatoo. I also have a Goffins Cockatoo, Australian Shepherd and a stray cat. My husband says we live in a zoo, lol. Larege birds are a handfull!!! Barney is loud, messy and HATES everyone but me. He is also very smart. He will say "here, here, here" to call people to his cage, put his foot out of the cage to grab your finger and the quickly pull his foot to his beak to try to bite you. He also calls me by name and says "I love you".

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you have a zoo! We've had a zoo at times before also but now it's just 2 cats and the fish. That's funny Barney playing tricks on you wanting to bite you! And then he says "I love you" after he takes a chunk outta ya,lol!

Ask a Question