Beneficial Bacteria source

Reaction score
Hello all, I am fairly new to keeping fish alive !!! From what I've been reading, adding bacteria is a good first step. Just picked up some RID-X for the septic system. After reading the package got to wondering if this might be a good thing, after all it IS bacteria to break down wastes !!!! Flames, I mean replies please...........Jay

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO! not RID X......... beneficial bacteria can be purchased at any pond store, Lowes,Homedepot, Meijers etc.. in fact Meijers has all their pond stuff on clearence now... $6.49 fot Organicas "Pristine Pond" 32oz bottles theyre $25.00 at some pond stores

Reaction score
Ay yay yay! What does a septic have to do with a pond? The septic is where the "crud" goes...you're trying to create a pond area where living things go.

Jay is in NC, so there is no Meijers around here. Also the lowes and HD's in NC don't carry this sort of thing. Jay, you need to get yourself to a Petsmart or Petco, they will sell the bacteria you need. But you need to hurry, and get this week otherwise it won't be worthwhile since the ponding season is over in about a month or two and folks will largely shut down their ponds...

jpendl10

Pond Guru
Reaction score
I have used many different Beneficial bacterias in many differnet ponds and they never seem to work. BUT i did find a great source that i have been using the last few yrs in many ponds and streams. It is the best out their. trust me. go to ecochem.comclick on algea control one of the top tabs. Its called EC-504. Get it you wont be disappointed

Ask a Question