Beneficial bacteria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What are thoughts on beneficial bacteria? The person at Aquascape sold me some yesterday. I'm slightly hesitant to put anything in the water that hasn't been used before. Is there any downside to using this? We got our water test kit and all the tests came out perfect but the nitrates. But we figured that's from the mass quantities of rain we got. So we have no issues with the water and it's crystal clear right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought so but I'm way to new to this to not question myself. And we were caught up in the moment. Will it hurt anything? My husband is kinda sold on the hype.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It will add organic material to your pond that the existing bacteria will have to process.
Depending on what you purchased, it may not even be viable (living) bacteria.
You would be better off putting a small handful of garden soil in your pond. The soil would provide more diversity.
However, over time, even the bacteria in your yard will find it's way to your pond.
I don't suppose they tried to provide education on general water quality....? (rhetorical question)
Encourage your husband not to buy into the hype.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They were impressed with the amount of filtration we had. Said we should never have a problem there. The one guy seemed more "salesman" than "fishman" that's who recommended the bacteria. It's their brand of bacteria. Whatever he grabbed off the shelf. The pond is doing its own thang so we maybe holding off for the time.
On a completely odd note. They have a gorgeous iguana in the store. He's a very pretty boy. I asked what his name was and the guy looked at me funny and goes "he doesn't have one...iguana I guess." my heart hurt. I dunno if it's cuz I had one but they live a long time and mine used to love it when you chatted with him. Name that poor guy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What are thoughts on beneficial bacteria? The person at Aquascape sold me some yesterday. I'm slightly hesitant to put anything in the water that hasn't been used before. Is there any downside to using this? We got our water test kit and all the tests came out perfect but the nitrates. But we figured that's from the mass quantities of rain we got. So we have no issues with the water and it's crystal clear right now.
Hi. One thing I noticed in your message was your mention of crystal clear water. Actually that is one thing that has nothing to do with how healthy the pond water is for your fish. It could be solid green and your fish could love it and conversely it could be mostly ammonia and be very nice and clear. Typically breeding ponds have a natural algae covering and can appear horrible but are in actuality great for fish. I'm not sure if you have plants, but plants are very helpful in removing nitrates.

Ask a Question