beneficial pond bacteria question

PS3

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a question about the bio filter and beneficial bacteria for the bio filter.
I dont know if this is true or not but i read in a fish pond book that the water
must be over 55 degrees for the beneficial bacteria to start working so is this true?
because last week my pond water was about 60 degrees and i seeded the strapping
with the bio gel and now this week its been cold and rainny and the water temp is
now 50 degrees so did i lose my beneficial bacteria?? for a few weeks

Reaction score
that is true, PS3. With temps below 55 degrees, the bacteria just can't grow properly to get started.

However, with temps dropping a bit, as they've done everywhere you probably haven't lost much bacteria. Things have likely just slowed down a bit.

Don't worry, you're ok!

Reaction score
to add to this: How many times should you add the bacteria in order to get the process going. Should you had more than just 1 or 2 times. (?the more you add - does it create more beneficial bacteria)?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
The bottle will have directions...but for regular liquid procucts,you initially do one larger "shock" dose then once a month small maintainence doses... I add 1/4 cup every couple of water changes right into my upper tee on my filters inlet plumbing. If you really want to jump start a filter microbelifts pl gel filter innoculant works fantastic...it takes four hours to complete its application process..but its worth it. You will have a fully colonized and functioning bio filter in no time.

PS3

Reaction score
thanks guys and gals i did get the microbelifts pl gel filter i had to take the
media out of the drum and let it soak in to the starpping then i put it back in
after 2 hours and i let it sit in the drum for 2 hours.
this is what the bottle told me to do i hope it worked lol if not i will
get the liquid pl the guy at the store said that works also

Ask a Question