Best Automated Filter Koi: Advantage vs AlphaONE vs AquaBead vs Ultima II vs Nexus vs ?

nwkoiboy

I'm learning!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/8b
Country
United States
I am a relatively new koi enthusiast who is embarking on our first residential pond--primarily for koi, but would like to have 2 to 3 small lily/lotus plants as well. It will be concrete and just over 5000 gallons in size, with a 10x12 section that is 5 feet deep along with some shelved portions at 2+ feet deep (and sheer side walls for predator protection).

My goal is to have as crystal clear water as is possible, ample koi carrying capacity, with as minimal regular maintenance possible (my guess is that this is probably the triple-aim of any koi keeper!). To achieve this, it seems to me that a combined mechanical/biological pressure filter that has an automated backwash might be the way to go--but I am definitely open to being convinced otherwise!

Assuming that I will have a good fish-safe skimmer, two bottom drains, an appropriately sized (oversized) filter and pump, a UV light, and returning water to the pond with eductor and/or aerating venturi jets to circulate water and aerate (I'm not keen on a waterfall for the aesthetics of our setup), I'd appreciate any advice/comparisons/recommendations regarding the below or other bio/mechanical filter set up that can have regular backwash/cleaning automated:

These are some of the systems that I have seen mentioned in on these forums and elsewhere:

Advantage Bead Filter from Sacramento Koi + Automated System

AlphaONE Filter by GC Tek + automatic backwash valve head?

AquaBead Filter by GC Tek + automatic backwash valve head?

Ultima II from Aqua Ultraviolet + automatic backwash valve head?

I'm not entirely sure which automatic valve heads are compatible with which filter units, but I have com these valves:

Aquastar by Praher Plastics and here

UltraTronic

Perhaps there are other filters that could be fitted with an automatic backwash valve head. For example, I have also seen the Nexus Filter from Evolution Aqua + Nexus Automatic System, but am not sure how minimal maintenance this is compared to a pressurized system.

Thank you and looking forward to the conversation!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome, we are always happy to have new members. Have a look around the site, hopefully you will find some useful information. You may want to ask your question at a site strictly dedicated to Koi keeping as there is more experience with all of those filters mentioned.
Kind Regards,
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let me tell you about my ponds which I have two. One is 16,000 gallons and the other is 5,000. Both have bottom drains that go to AquaForte sieves then to Nexus 300 filters and then to UV and return to the pond.
The skimmer on the large pond goes to a Advantage 15 Bead filter. The small ponds skimmer goes to a GcTek 4.25 filter. and back to pond. I'm very happy wit these setups.
Any questions just ask?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I won't go into the whole story about my pond.....but I will tell you about an Ultima 6000 filter....... As far as a Biological filter, converting ammonia into nitrates, I am very doubtful.....I have no proof other than the fact I was struggling greatly with getting my pond to cycle and fighting high ammonia with the Ultima and Spring Flow in my waterfall..... When I changed the media in my skimmer I had a complete turn around almost overnight..... Maybe condience...... But I will say the Ultima is an Absolutely AWESOME poop and small debris machine, I went with a bare liner except for about three foot of rock at the base of my waterfall, bottom is clean and water is crystal clear, forgot to tell you this is on a 3000 gallon pond...... Also have a Aqua ultraviolet 57 watt filter, only run it when the water gets a tinge to it, couple of days back clear again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I am a relatively new koi enthusiast who is embarking on our first residential pond--primarily for koi, but would like to have 2 to 3 small lily/lotus plants as well. It will be concrete and just over 5000 gallons in size, with a 10x12 section that is 5 feet deep along with some shelved portions at 2+ feet deep (and sheer side walls for predator protection).

My goal is to have as crystal clear water as is possible, ample koi carrying capacity, with as minimal regular maintenance possible (my guess is that this is probably the triple-aim of any koi keeper!). To achieve this, it seems to me that a combined mechanical/biological pressure filter that has an automated backwash might be the way to go--but I am definitely open to being convinced otherwise!

Assuming that I will have a good fish-safe skimmer, two bottom drains, an appropriately sized (oversized) filter and pump, a UV light, and returning water to the pond with eductor and/or aerating venturi jets to circulate water and aerate (I'm not keen on a waterfall for the aesthetics of our setup), I'd appreciate any advice/comparisons/recommendations regarding the below or other bio/mechanical filter set up that can have regular backwash/cleaning automated:

These are some of the systems that I have seen mentioned in on these forums and elsewhere:

Advantage Bead Filter from Sacramento Koi + Automated System

AlphaONE Filter by GC Tek + automatic backwash valve head?

AquaBead Filter by GC Tek + automatic backwash valve head?

Ultima II from Aqua Ultraviolet + automatic backwash valve head?

I'm not entirely sure which automatic valve heads are compatible with which filter units, but I have com these valves:

Aquastar by Praher Plastics and here

UltraTronic

Perhaps there are other filters that could be fitted with an automatic backwash valve head. For example, I have also seen the Nexus Filter from Evolution Aqua + Nexus Automatic System, but am not sure how minimal maintenance this is compared to a pressurized system.

Thank you and looking forward to the conversation!
have u seen Rotary Drum Filter ? it backwash's it self on set time and separates waste from pond , no maintenance needed , cleans the filter media it self .

nwkoiboy

I'm learning!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/8b
Country
United States
Welcome, we are always happy to have new members. Have a look around the site, hopefully you will find some useful information. You may want to ask your question at a site strictly dedicated to Koi keeping as there is more experience with all of those filters mentioned.
Kind Regards,
Paul
Thanks for the welcome, Paul! I have already found lots of useful info around the site and it seems there are quite a few very knowledgeable koi pond folks here!!

nwkoiboy

I'm learning!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/8b
Country
United States
Let me tell you about my ponds which I have two. One is 16,000 gallons and the other is 5,000. Both have bottom drains that go to AquaForte sieves then to Nexus 300 filters and then to UV and return to the pond.
The skimmer on the large pond goes to a Advantage 15 Bead filter. The small ponds skimmer goes to a GcTek 4.25 filter. and back to pond. I'm very happy wit these setups.
Any questions just ask?
Hello fellow PNWer! And thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a serious set up. That's interesting that you have the water (bottom drain vs skimmer) going to two different filtration set-ups and returning to the pond rather than being treated the same way - I hadn't seen or considered that before. I'd imagine this provides a certain amount some fail-safe redundancy? Other benefits? How is the maintenance comparing the Nexus versus the Advantage Bead filter? Do you happen to have a preference between the two based on performance or maintenance?

nwkoiboy

I'm learning!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/8b
Country
United States
I won't go into the whole story about my pond.....but I will tell you about an Ultima 6000 filter....... As far as a Biological filter, converting ammonia into nitrates, I am very doubtful.....I have no proof other than the fact I was struggling greatly with getting my pond to cycle and fighting high ammonia with the Ultima and Spring Flow in my waterfall..... When I changed the media in my skimmer I had a complete turn around almost overnight..... Maybe condience...... But I will say the Ultima is an Absolutely AWESOME poop and small debris machine, I went with a bare liner except for about three foot of rock at the base of my waterfall, bottom is clean and water is crystal clear, forgot to tell you this is on a 3000 gallon pond...... Also have a Aqua ultraviolet 57 watt filter, only run it when the water gets a tinge to it, couple of days back clear again
Hi Jimmy - thanks for the info! Sounds like the Ultima is working really well for you. What skimmer are you using that has media in it that you are changing? I am thinking about a "fish safe" skimmer that doesn't have a weir door like Advantage Skimmer from Sacramento Koi or this Helix pond skimmer (but seems really big)?

nwkoiboy

I'm learning!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/8b
Country
United States
have u seen Rotary Drum Filter ? it backwash's it self on set time and separates waste from pond , no maintenance needed , cleans the filter media it self .

Hey Usman - no, I had not looked closely at that that class of filter but it sounds like I should! Do you happen to have one yourself, or have any ideas on good makes/models to check out? Looks like it might produce a good (self-cleaning) mechanical filtration to help achieve that gin (vodka?)-clear water. :)

It looks like there are some models out there that also have a combined biological filtration (e.g., ProfiDrum)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hey Usman - no, I had not looked closely at that that class of filter but it sounds like I should! Do you happen to have one yourself, or have any ideas on good makes/models to check out? Looks like it might produce a good (self-cleaning) mechanical filtration to help achieve that gin (vodka?)-clear water. :)

It looks like there are some models out there that also have a combined biological filtration (e.g., ProfiDrum)
no i have not used it , its best for dedicated koi ponds with heavy load , it does work well as far as i have read and seen from others and havent seen any bad review yet , the design looks great , yes all models i have seen are with bio chamber

Last edited:

Ask a Question