addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would let debris collect, the critters do better with some muck. When I clean my pond, I never clean the liner completely, just large debris like leaves.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got some muck in my pond too or at least I assume I do,haven't really looked and can't see that far to the bottom and haven't used a net to scoop anything out this Fall. Don't think I will either cuz I threw a bunch of Anacharis in there and I don't want to have to drag all that out and deal w/ it so fishy's get a gunky bottom this winter. I'll cut off the dead lily stems and scoop out floating leaves but that's it till Spring. Bet that will make the bugs and the fish happy too cuz they like to scrounge around down there I've heard.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I've got some muck in my pond too or at least I assume I do,haven't really looked and can't see that far to the bottom and haven't used a net to scoop anything out this Fall. Don't think I will either cuz I threw a bunch of Anacharis in there and I don't want to have to drag all that out and deal w/ it so fishy's get a gunky bottom this winter. I'll cut off the dead lily stems and scoop out floating leaves but that's it till Spring. Bet that will make the bugs and the fish happy too cuz they like to scrounge around down there I've heard.

What are Anacharis?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't plant mine, it just sank on its own. I have it in different places in my yard in sunken water tubs. Looks good in the tubs right now but can't see any in the pond but then like I said can't see to the bottom of the big pond. I'll see if it makes it in the accommodations I have made for it through this winter. Where hubby and I got them was from a wild pond where tons of the stuff grows and it was all rooted on the bottom in the soil so that's prolly how the stuff prefers to grow I'm thinking :rolleyes:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aha so this is why it sinks in my pond maybe? We have cool, cloudy days a lot here! Also I read that any pull from a pump or falls giving the water the slightest amount of movement will suck it down under also. It does not sink in my non-water-moving tubs around the yard.
Taken from the net:
Anacharis- wild grows all over North America (including Canada and Iowa) and South America. You'll probably never see it in your aquarium, but anacharis moves up and down in the water depending upon water temperature and light. In your water garden or tank you may see tiny bubbles of oxygen escaping from your anacharis leaves. In the wild, this product of photosynthesis causes anacharis-wild to float, unless well rooted, on warm, sunny days and sink on cool, cloudy days. As an add plus, Anacharis eats fish wastes -- carbon dioxide, nitrogenous, and phosphate wastes. You can do fewer water changes, however, fewer water changes also slow the growth of anacharis. Although anacharis eventually grows roots, it takes in most of its food directly thru its leaves. This makes anacharis an excellent algae competitor. Anarchis-wild will do its best to starve out algae which will help keep ypur water cleaner! Pond owners use anacharis as an aerating plant as well as an algae competitor.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I didn't plant mine, it just sank on its own. I have it in different places in my yard in sunken water tubs. Looks good in the tubs right now but can't see any in the pond but then like I said can't see to the bottom of the big pond. I'll see if it makes it in the accommodations I have made for it through this winter. Where hubby and I got them was from a wild pond where tons of the stuff grows and it was all rooted on the bottom in the soil so that's prolly how the stuff prefers to grow I'm thinking :rolleyes:

When we had Anacharis' we bought them from Petsmart or Petsplus. Very inexpensive. We will definitely be adding these to our pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love this stuff. I'm hoping to talk the wife into putting it into our new pond next year. The year we had it we planted it in three window boxes that were placed on the bottom. It grew over four feet to the surface and actually bloomed which we didn't know it did. Little white flowers.

It was kind of too much for that pond and in the fall it was like harvesting a hayfield. The fish hide in it to,making it very hard to catch the babies in the fall until we took it all out. We had so much we couldn't enjoy the goldfish as they disappeared in it. With only large koi now, I don't think it will be a problem seeing them now. So maybe I can get some next year.

Craig

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
BTW Lou, If you are not keeping fish, or only a couple, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the liner. Algae and muck cover the liner and help prevent exposure to UV rays as well which can be damaging to liners.

Craig

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
On the topic of Anacharis, If your collecting from the wild. Be aware that there is anacharis and hydrilla. Hydrilla is actually more common, more prolific, more problematic if released in the wild, and in many states required to be reported if found. It does not bloom the tiny white flower. Has all the beneficial characters of anacharis but is a little more brittle and not as deep green looking in a pond. Thinner plant in comparison with the leaves being slightly more spaced and and slightly smaller, it's more of a lighter green in color and will make thicker denser mats than anachris does, also fish don't nibble on it as well and they usually only nibble on the new growth which in turns breaks off and starts more new plants easier. Both remove the same things and add the same things to water and both highly compete with algae causing clearer water conditions.

Reaction score
we call it elodea here in uk ( i think it is the same stuff), i have elodea crispa, http://keyserver.luc...iphon_major.htm
this stuff grows like mad, ive recorded it growing to nearly 2 metres long, thats 1 mertre up from the bottom and trailing a metre across the surface !, i have to pull it out every year and trim it down !
ps. WOW i have just noticed on the link i have provided it can grow to 5 metres in length !!!

Ask a Question