Best company to buy plants online

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thats the question Thanks

I guess that’s your answer. No one replied! It’s like they did a survey here a few years ago about people’s favorite parking garage. Didn’t get a lot of answers either. In my opinion local nurseries that cater to pond enthusiasts are your best bet because the wear and tear of sending plants overnight or through UPS isn’t so good.… or getting excess plants for free from other ponders is always a good idea. I have bought a few things from William Trickler. Their lillies look really nice but I haven’t bought any from them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't have really good options for local pond plant suppliers, so I have ordered on line from various online companies. Dragonfly aquatics & Pond Plants Online are definitely two. I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember their names.

I've ordered from Pond Megastore, but last time I had an absolutely horrible customer service experience and would never recommend them because of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I also prefer to support my local nurseries. Oftentimes if you ask "do you have pond plants?" they will answer no. But once you start looking around you will see they have tons of things that we all grow in ponds - creeping Jenny and papyrus, rushes and reeds, cardinal flower, Joe-pye weed, cannas, all the various worts, even impatiens are pond plants!... they just don't market them as pond plants. I try to educate the ones who are interested. One of my favorite spots even set up a small pre-form pond with a selection of pond appropriate plants after we chatted one year and brought in some floaters and lilies.

All retail stores want to have the products you want to buy. But if we never tell them what we want, they don't have the chance to accommodate you.

I know this doesn't answer the "best online source" question. I just wanted to add some insight for those who have been to their local nursery and thought they needed to go online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I also prefer to support my local nurseries. Oftentimes if you ask "do you have pond plants?" they will answer no. But once you start looking around you will see they have tons of things that we all grow in ponds - creeping Jenny and papyrus, rushes and reeds, cardinal flower, Joe-pye weed, cannas, all the various worts, even impatiens are pond plants!... they just don't market them as pond plants. I try to educate the ones who are interested. One of my favorite spots even set up a small pre-form pond with a selection of pond appropriate plants after we chatted one year and brought in some floaters and lilies.

All retail stores want to have the products you want to buy. But if we never tell them what we want, they don't have the chance to accommodate you.

I know this doesn't answer the "best online source" question. I just wanted to add some insight for those who have been to their local nursery and thought they needed to go online.
Yes, many "pond plants" are just normal plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not sure about Home Depot but Lowes always has (in the stores - not now but during the spring/summer season) umbrella palms (Cyperus alternifolius) and creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia). And I still have my Chromatella waterlily I bought there in 2016.

Last year, I bought horsetail (Equisetum hyemale) online from Home Depot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States

I just ordered a couple lilly tubers from Amazon. A bunch of them have bad reviews but I bought from seller​

Brand: Mainam. I bought a Nymphaea King Blue and it was shipped in under 3 days, was freshly packed in a sealed bag with water and is guaranteed to be alive. I liked it enough that I bought a Yellow Nymphaea the day the first one arrived.​

pond_plants_011.jpg

pond_plants_012.jpg

pond_plants_013.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I just ordered a couple lilly tubers from Amazon. A bunch of them have bad reviews but I bought from seller​

Brand: Mainam. I bought a Nymphaea King Blue and it was shipped in under 3 days, was freshly packed in a sealed bag with water and is guaranteed to be alive. I liked it enough that I bought a Yellow Nymphaea the day the first one arrived.​

View attachment 149490

View attachment 149491

View attachment 149492
Wow only $17! Will definitely give them a try when it warms up here :) Thanks for sharing

Ask a Question