Best external filter?

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I'm looking to add your filter to my indoor system. As y'all know it's not a fish tank. But I'm thinking creative and combining the 34 qt and the 66 qt. The water flows from the 66 qt to the 34 qt container where I plan on raising fish. Specifically neon tetras

In gallons both containers come to 24 gallons.

I'm looking at filters and Fluval and Eheim have the best reviews. The Eheim 2211 for 40 gallon systems at 85$ sounds more than perfect for a 24 gallon system. The Fluval 106 rated for similar size systems is about 30$ more.

So what are your experiences with external filters?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Definitely Eheim! Fluval hadn't been invented yet when I kept tropical fish. ;)
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have the mother of all external filters that we used to use indoors and thats the Fluval FX5 it filters 950 ltrs per hour.
The impellor unlike any other large externals is sited at the bottom of the filter, along with a bottom drain.
The lid of the filter is held on with eight screw down handles with two multi directional hose couplings.
There are three bays inside the filter holding a number of filter meadiums all glog free , you can prime it with 8 pints of water and once a day the unit shuts off for 2 minutes to allow any air bubbles injested by the filter are vented off :-

http://123aquatics.co.uk/products/aquarium/filtration/external/fluvalfx5externalfilters-985.aspx

The only other large filter of that size beinng the Eheim Professional III 2080 :-

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/eheim-professional-filter-1200xl-2080-p-280.html

We have owned one and found there to be a number of problems with this filter which eheim dont seem to have addressed in that the connector for the two waist pipes and one return pipe have a habit of sticking and then not being able to freee the two parts.
I sent not one but two lids back to Eheim and even the third replacement stuck in place after a while (it was soold with our tank hense us keeping the better of the two filters back .
The problem with both however is the price tag both are £300 UKP+each
Hope this helps you make your mind up :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
But in the main I'd say the best canister filters are otherwise that of eheim

Dave

FountainMan

Reaction score
Based on the general consensus here, reviews, and most of all my wallet :) I settled on an Eheim 2211. Originally I planned to have both containers plumbed together with the Eheim circulating from one to the other.

As it would be the flow from one container to the other was lower than the volume the Eheim was pumping.

Long story short. The 2nd tank overflowed and I ended up soaking the carpet. :(

Disconnected the lower system and have the Eheim running the larger system.

The smaller system I sealed the holes I made for the expansion and will run it separately.

14157574073191728106660.jpg

Added filter media. This media is from a Laguna pond filter several years ago. Hopefully the beneficial bacteria have already colonized the media. The paver stones in the middle are for support.
1415757740737491763542.jpg
This is an aquarium pump. This contains a carbon cartridge. I got to thinking this system may as well be sufficient for its size. I caulked the openings. Hopefully they won't leak. If so I'll have to replace the lower container.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Almost forgot picture of the filter.

IMG_20141111_200737.jpg

I can understand that some parts might stick or be stubborn but that's better than leaking. Besides, I think the filter and piping looks good in green :D

FountainMan

Reaction score
20141111_220147.jpg
Got the miniature system up and running.

Removed the skimmer and used the strainer from the Eheim for the intake. I think this system is ready for fish and some plants.

Ask a Question