Best Good Bargain Sump Pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You need schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, PVC primer and glue.
You can get them at Home Depot, Lowe's or any place that sells hardware. The parts are inexpensive.

You'll need a threaded male PVC adapter to screw in there. A PVC check valve and any fittings (90's, etc.) you need to get it out and away from the house.

If you've never worked with PVC pipe, look it up online. It's very easy. Dry fit your fittings and draw a line across the joints. This way you know how it goes together when gluing it. The glue sets up fast.

Use a hacksaw or something similar to cut the pipe.
Thank you, trying to buy it all online because I do not have a car, so going to the hardware store means walking an hour in the freezing cold or bumming a ride off someone, which I really don't like doing, especially in the pandemic when I'm trying to stay away from others since I'm high risk for covid complications.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you, trying to buy it all online because I do not have a car, so going to the hardware store means walking an hour in the freezing cold or bumming a ride off someone, which I really don't like doing, especially in the pandemic when I'm trying to stay away from others since I'm high risk for covid complications.
Ok, just buy it all on Amazon with the sump pump. Fittings, pipe, primer and glue.
Figure out what fittings you need to get it to the outside.
The PVC threaded male will screw right into the pump outlet as long as you get the right size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You need schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, PVC primer and glue.
@poconojoe Any reason to choose https://www.homedepot.com/p/HYDROMA...ting-Slip-x-Slip-10-Pack-406-010-10/312905395 over https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...ong-Turn-Elbow-Fitting-C4807LTHD112/100347073 or vice versa? I have to come up about 3 feet and then make a 90 degree turn to go through the foundation (there's already a hole there for the pipe to pass through). Also is https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlot...MPT-x-S-Male-Adapter-PVC021091400HD/203811646 the correct fitting for screwing into the pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok, just buy it all on Amazon with the sump pump. Fittings, pipe, primer and glue.
Figure out what fittings you need to get it to the outside.
The PVC threaded male will screw right into the pump outlet as long as you get the right size.
why not use flex pvc (as for the pond) as it will cut down on fittings and hence, head pressure. I know it's not 'up to code' but this whole situation is a code nightmare. A permanent solution as has been mentioned is a priority. If the water takes out any electrical, besides maybe doing bodily harm, you're going to lose plumbing (if no heat) if not fixed pronto.

I know you say this has been ongoing and maybe you're staying because the price is right, but this is an accident waiting to happen. It goes beyond convenience and or funds, it's smack dab in the middle of safety.

I'd insist repairs be made or else I'd be looking for different digs. YMMV

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe Any reason to choose https://www.homedepot.com/p/HYDROMA...ting-Slip-x-Slip-10-Pack-406-010-10/312905395 over https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...ong-Turn-Elbow-Fitting-C4807LTHD112/100347073 or vice versa? I have to come up about 3 feet and then make a 90 degree turn to go through the foundation (there's already a hole there for the pipe to pass through). Also is https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlot...MPT-x-S-Male-Adapter-PVC021091400HD/203811646 the correct fitting for screwing into the pump?
If the sump pump has an 1-1/2" outlet, then make sure everything is that size. You showed 1" in the first link and 1-1/2" in the other links.

You don't need the wide sweeping 90 degree elbow, just the regular 90 degree elbow.

Yes, that male adapter is what you need, as long as it's the right size for the pump's outlet.

From what you are describing, you probably only need one 90 degree elbow. They are cheap, so if you think you might need to make another turn, get more.

Dont forget the primer and glue. They sell small 8-ounce cans packed as a pair (primer & glue). You don't need much.
The primer cleans and primers in preparation for the glue.

If this were a permanent installation, I would strongly suggest a check valve to prevent the water from flowing back when the pump shuts off. That's up to you.

Good luck and any more questions, just ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
why not use flex pvc (as for the pond) as it will cut down on fittings and hence, head pressure. I know it's not 'up to code' but this whole situation is a code nightmare. A permanent solution as has been mentioned is a priority. If the water takes out any electrical, besides maybe doing bodily harm, you're going to lose plumbing (if no heat) if not fixed pronto.

I know you say this has been ongoing and maybe you're staying because the price is right, but this is an accident waiting to happen. It goes beyond convenience and or funds, it's smack dab in the middle of safety.

Flex PVC is expensive and not as available as ridgid PVC. Ridgid PVC and fitting are dirt cheap.

The only tool you'll need is something to cut the pipe. A cheap hacksaw will do. They make cutters specifically for PVC, but for what you need to do, a hacksaw will do. That's what always use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States

It's just a basement flood, freak accidents happen. Half the state flooded like this this week, it's not just this one house. We had 30-40 inches of snow overnight (literally overnight), and then it warmed back up. It's wrecking things. Yes, the window is a chronic problem, but the sump pump dying is the real issue, once that is fixed, the flooding will not be a safety risk anymore. The house passes inspections (normally).

The snow, overnight:
20201217_160151.jpg
After shovelling 6 hours:
20201217_161133.jpg
20201217_164538.jpg
My stairs, halfway unburied:
20201217_160207.jpg
My pond (it's in there, somewhere):
20201217_155339.jpg
It's not typical for the basement to flood this bad. This much snow is not typical for this area.
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com...ermont-snow-noreaster-what-expect/3918945001/
https://www.mynbc5.com/article/rain...ing-in-parts-of-vermont-on-christmas/35073048
(I live in Springfield, I don't think it was quite 41 inches here, but it was up to my waist)
It's been a weird year. All this snow is now melting and everything is flooding. Not just my house.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If the sump pump has an 1-1/2" outlet, then make sure everything is that size. You showed 1" in the first link and 1-1/2" in the other links.

You don't need the wide sweeping 90 degree elbow, just the regular 90 degree elbow.

Yes, that male adapter is what you need, as long as it's the right size for the pump's outlet.

From what you are describing, you probably only need one 90 degree elbow. They are cheap, so if you think you might need to make another turn, get more.

Dont forget the primer and glue. They sell small 8-ounce cans packed as a pair (primer & glue). You don't need much.
The primer cleans and primers in preparation for the glue.

If this were a permanent installation, I would strongly suggest a check valve to prevent the water from flowing back when the pump shuts off. That's up to you.

Good luck and any more questions, just ask.
Thanks! I really appreciate your advice! I'm positive I can get this done myself and save my landlady a ton of money and maybe keep us from both being homeless! Money is tight after the loss of her husband last summer. Anything I can do myself to try to keep us above water (pun intended, lol) is worthwhile. Plus, I'm building skills. I'll know how to install sump pumps after this, which is a pretty neat thing to know how to do and may roll over into ponding. Learning PVC pipe gluing and installing check valves and stuff surely has some crossover to large ponds and the aquarium hobby.

I did add a check valve to the list already and sent it to her to buy. Also a pump stand to get it up off the bottom of the sump basin since it looks like I'm going to have to rig my own basin liner out of a bucket because my concreted hole is smaller than all the premade sump basins I found.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, what a situation. I'm glad you've received some practical advice that will help. We have a sump pump, but honestly we hired a company and they dug trenches, jack hammered concrete, french drains, sump pit, sump pump with battery powered back up.....and $$$$$ !!!

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It pours down like a waterfall down the back wall from the casement window because the house is built on top of bedrock and the house backs up to a steep hillside with almost no topsoil, so all the groundwater just pours down the hill, and because there's no perc on the hill, it just pours into the house through this window, it's not a concrete porousity issue, the window should never have been installed here. There needs to be a drain installed between the hillside and this window or something. I don't own the house. I rent the in-law unit here. I'm just trying to help my landlady out. Her husband died this past summer and these sort of repairs are just totally beyond her. I told her I would look into the best sump pump and put it in for her. The house has a sump pump well and it set up for one, the basement has channels for it, the old one is just dead. I'm going to see what I can do about this window/drainage problem come next summer.

View attachment 135775
eeeeeeek the main 200 amp electrical panel beside a huge water leak? run away from that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Before you go through the work of busting out concrete digging holes , power cords and piping. THAT is after math steps. If you have water running behind the service panel then that is where you must start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a window or something off to the side of the service panel? I know you said theres little you can do from the outside but heres a Micky mouse ix that might do the job for you.

I would cut back what ever wood that is picture framing that opening and do it so you can place something like a concrete 1/2" wonder board sold at at any home depot . i would try to fit it so it would be cut in to the opening and flush with the wall but if thats not possible just cut the wood back so it is flush with the wall. take a grinder or ever a belt sander and clean the paint off the concrete wall. I would then apply silicone to the area where the concrete board will and that place your cement board over onto the wall covering the opening be installed tight to the wall using sheet rock screws or roofing nails but do not set them in so deep that you break the concrete mesh . Then use flex paste to cover it all.
Obviously working it from the outside diverting the water is better but if it's frozen the above may do the trick .
I used some flex seal in some odd ways and have been surprised it is not terribly strong but for quick repairs and while wet it did the job.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Flex PVC is expensive and not as available as ridgid PVC. Ridgid PVC and fitting are dirt cheap.

The only tool you'll need is something to cut the pipe. A cheap hacksaw will do. They make cutters specifically for PVC, but for what you need to do, a hacksaw will do. That's what always use.
I have used a hack saw , sawsall , skill saw " with a paneling blade", even a cut off saw, a miter saw , and a grinder. they all work with using some caution and let the blade do the cutting. the less aggressive the blade the better. also there is no need for a sump pump with a 1 1/2" line to it a simple home depot water sump pump that only has a garden hose outlet will do the job. the pump will just have to work a little longer but even then if your water is coming in faster then a small home depot pump can handle then you have some serious issues

Ask a Question