ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've read many posts on this sight telling about various filter media people use, including sponge, twine, and or methods. I am wondering what is the best form of filteration for a large 2000 gallon pond with koi and plants.

Reaction score
I actually use alittle bit of all of them. In one barrel I have the cut up drip tube and fenceing material. In the second barrel I have scrubby pads cut up pvc and shipping strap. Water is clear and all water tests are good

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Zman, all of them work if set up right. You need to build what you are comfortable with. The cheapest to build is the "Doc Filter" using fencing material as the media. Once you have the 55 gallon drum the rest is all Home Depot and about $50.00 for the materials.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ZmanArt007 said:
What type of fencing material? I am planning on building a doc filter but I don't know what fencing material you are talking about.

Some have used the black plastic rabbit fencing they sale at home depot.

Reaction score
You didn't find the fencing thread because it's not actually here. Dr. Dave describes the evolution of his biofilters here.

You'll see that the first version used cut up poly tubing, and his rebuild uses poultry netting. It doesn't seem like the fencing would do the job, does it? It appears the primary task is to provide lots of real estate, then water and air, for the aerobic bacteria (and algae?) to grow on.

Reaction score
I used 50' of the irrigation tubing and 25-30' of air brake hosing with about 100' of shipping strapping. I also bought 4 reusable furnace filters and cut them into pieces that are slightly larger than scrubby pads i lined my tray in the biofilter so the water has to flow through the cut-up filter pieces then it goes to the bio-media and after that is another non cut-up filter that wraps the bio-media up and keeps it shaded and in place my pond went from green/brown to clear in about 1 week.

Reaction score
Well Freinds Maybe you all can help me out as i have a large swimming pool filter that hold 300 lbs of sand I dont want to use sand in it what else would work good in a swimming pool filter for media & filtration as i will be sending it into a filter box with Malta filter materal Just want it to catch large particals & that way I can use the backwash to make my water changes & use the water in my garden
Tks Coolwind

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
coolwind2003a said:
Well Freinds Maybe you all can help me out as i have a large swimming pool filter that hold 300 lbs of sand I dont want to use sand in it what else would work good in a swimming pool filter for media & filtration as i will be sending it into a filter box with Malta filter materal Just want it to catch large particals & that way I can use the backwash to make my water changes & use the water in my garden
Tks Coolwind

We were thinking of using a swim pool filter, replacing the sand with pea gravel. You need something heavy enough that will not back flush out.

Reaction score
Is the channeling and dead spots created by most of the above filtration media/methods, except for Dodad's moving bed filtration, a concern to anyone? This is a sincere question.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can not answer because i do not know, but it is a good question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of the channeling is in the sand and gravel filters. If your filter is maintained it will not channel like in bead filters. I clean my filters 2 times a week but that's because of my fish load, I would normally clean them once a week.
Pondmaster said:
Is the channeling and dead spots created by most of the above filtration media/methods, except for Dodad's moving bed filtration, a concern to anyone? This is a sincere question.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but I need more advice on DIY mechanical filter media... I have a design for a three part system, but I am not sure what three medias to use... I was thinking pillow stuffing for the last containment unit, but not sure what to use for the first two... Obviously something not as fine as the pillow stuffing. If anyone knows anything I could use that this thinner and finer than pillow stuffing, the stuffing could be in the 2nd container.
Thanks,
Zman

Ask a Question