Best place to put a UV light?

Reaction score
I have a skimmer that houses a 3600gph pump and a waterfall basin with a mesh bag of lava rock...then the water goes down a stream and back into the pond. Pond is about 1200-2000gallons...Where would I have most luck putting a UV light to prevent/fix an algae bloom?

Reaction score
After the mechanical filter. It you have a 3600 gph pump you will probably need a pretty powerful UV bulb since the water is flowing quickly....

Wait, the only filtration you have is the bag of rocks? I guess you would have to put it before that....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
After the mechanical filter. It you have a 3600 gph pump you will probably need a pretty powerful UV bulb since the water is flowing quickly....

Wait, the only filtration you have is the bag of rocks? I guess you would have to put it before that....
Place it after your biofilter and after your pump we have an Oase 3500 which pumps a similar amount so I would suggest a 36 watt UV-C to do the job

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
1200 gal pond... a 36 watt u.v is overkill. my 9 watt keeps my 1200 gallon pond crystal clear. you can easily make a diverter set up for controlling flow to U.V...
always put U.V after mechanical filtration.. the cleaner the water going thru the U.v the more efficient the U.V will be. at 2000 gals an 18 watter would suffice.

Last edited:

Ask a Question