Best pond liner to go with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Here's my situation.

I originally created a pond which I attempted to line with bentonite clay. The bottom held but the sides failed. So, now I'm looking for a rubber liner, one I can trust that will last for the longest time possible. I've done a lot of research (like years). This pond is at the top of a hill on my new property which I waited years to build. As you can see with the photos, it's a big one. At least 50 feet long but only about 8 feet at its greatest width. I basically followed the way the property was laid out and it is really the only place I could put it. I just dug out the last of the clay today which had to be the worst thing I had to do in my entire lifetime.

My research seems to point to butyl rubber. It seems the most puncture resistant. I've also read about PVC, EPDM and polyethylene. All sites have conflicting stories. What works best? I'm researching butyl rubber distributors in the USA (I'm in Florida) but it seems they are in sheets and must be welded together. Of course I will use a good underlayment since there are trees, even if I have to double it up. So what liner do you think would work best for this monstrosity? Please help before the summer humidity of Florida does me in for good.

Attachments

• IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 557
Reaction score
Country
United States
45 mil firestone pondliner is the best
EPDM? I was looking at 60 mil online earlier this evening. Wouldn't that be even more strong? How long have you had your liner and thanks for the reply!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well my new one is 2 years old moles chewed my other liner .Yes epdm and the only problem with 60 mil is that it is harder to shape and hard to hide and very heavy and unforgiving .Folds are really hard .I have a 10x10 piece and it is impossible to work with .My pond now is 5000 gallons .You have turns an it will be really hard to make those turns with the folds and very very hard to hide the folds as the folds will be bigger turning the corner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well my new one is 2 years old moles chewed my other liner .Yes epdm and the only problem with 60 mil is that it is harder to shape and hard to hide and very heavy and unforgiving .Folds are really hard .I have a 10x10 piece and it is impossible to work with .My pond now is 5000 gallons .You have turns an it will be really hard to make those turns with the folds and very very hard to hide the folds as the folds will be bigger turning the corner
I see, I certainly have some crazy turns. I was just wanting something that would last the longest possible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, about the moles, are you now taking protective measures against them if there are any?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a piece of poly liner under my stock tank filter and it has become brittle and needs replaced .It is just there so any leaks will be directed back into the pond so no big deal .But I am going to replace it this fall.When I rebuilt I put milky spore down and put 15 lb and 30 lb roofing felt and the the pond underlayment .I had to roofing felt here from the house build and figured I would use it .I had ice and water shield put under my roof shingles and guy bought this stuff and just left it behind .Why he bought it I have no clue .I did use some of it on the shed though

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been researching the EPDM 20 warrenty, 75 year life expectancy? Is that a marketing ploy or could it really last that long? http://www.123ponds.com/5x75.html
45 mil EPDM hands down choice. 20 year warranty. I have been involved in pond construction for the past 20 years and have yet to see a EPDM liner fail. No marketing ploy. If anything an understatement..

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
45 mil EPDM is the industry standard. If you use anything else, you're asking for trouble.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to you all for your input and advice!

45 mil EPDM hands down choice. 20 year warranty. I have been involved in pond construction for the past 20 years and have yet to see a EPDM liner fail. No marketing ploy. If anything an understatement..

I'm in central Florida. What are you using for underlayment here in Florida and will it deflect moles?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best thing for moles is to get rid of there food source and that is grubs .I put down 2 containers of milky spore on the bottom which kills grubs .I put it down all over my front yard and one of the side yards but never got to doing that side of the property and never did the back yard .I learned my lesson .I finished most of the rest of the yard .I want to buy more to do the back yard that is fenced in yet .My neighbors have moles really bad and I don't want there's to come over here .I don't see any mole tunnels yet and want to keep it that way .The milky spore only has to be put down once .You can read up on it online .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks to you all for your input and advice!

I'm in central Florida. What are you using for underlayment here in Florida and will it deflect moles?

I am also in Florida and have used exclusively standard pond underlayment which is typically 6 oz. nonwoven geotextile. Never observed any liner damage from moles or any other 'beastie' where liner was protected.

Ask a Question