Best pond liner to go with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks,I'll check that out!

Here's where my confusion comes in. This guy easily sticks a pen through EPDM but shows the RPE to be much stronger. I also have a larger pond which he says he wouldn't even consider EPDM. ???

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a definite possibility, but videos like that just makes it harder to make a decision. The pen went in so easily, there is no way that would survive in my pond with trees in such close proximity (occasional falling branches are inevitable but I can cut dead limbs around the pond every quarter or so).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just read the top comments on the YouTube video. He claims it's 45.

Mary Fisher11 months ago
How many mils thick on each, esp. the epdm?

+Mary Fisher The RPE liner in the video is 24 mil, but it also comes in 30 and 40 mil. The EPDM is 45 mil, but as you can see from the video the thickness doesn't really say anything about puncture resistance or strength.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a sample of that from them after I saw the youtube video .I thought it would be good under my filters since it was flexable .I had to pay shipping and i was not impressed and .It had a texture to it but is not as sturdy as they show it is .I still have it but went with the 45 mil .I think even back then I asked on here about it .

Reaction score
Country
United States
So here are some updates of this epic adventure.

First, I got hold of a sample 45 mil epdm Firestone at a pond store near Tampa. I was able to do the pen test like the youtube video. I put a good dent in it, but was unable to puncture the liner since the rubber was so incredibly elastic. I don't know how the fellow in the video was able to do it so easily.

Second, I had an excavator that was supposed to show up this morning to dig the rest of the clay out of the pond and make it bigger. He backed out literally a half hour before he was supposed to show up. What can you do?

Third, now I have a mason stopping by Monday to take a look at the situation. At this point, why not? We had a couple heavy rains here and the pond has reshaped itself a bit, making the slopes less steep on the positive side, but taking away some depth on the negative.

I still don't know what liner will ultimately be used at this point but a picture of the end result should be interesting since the originals are at the top of the thread. When will it be finished? I have no idea but hopefully before the next president gets sworn in cause everything will be fair game then.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Use what you will, but keep in mind that if what you choose (and if it aint 45mil EPDM), re-lining is a deconstruction followed by a reconstruction. Twice the labor, three times the cost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
So here are some updates of this epic adventure.

First, I got hold of a sample 45 mil epdm Firestone at a pond store near Tampa. I was able to do the pen test like the youtube video. I put a good dent in it, but was unable to puncture the liner since the rubber was so incredibly elastic. I don't know how the fellow in the video was able to do it so easily.

Second, I had an excavator that was supposed to show up this morning to dig the rest of the clay out of the pond and make it bigger. He backed out literally a half hour before he was supposed to show up. What can you do?

Third, now I have a mason stopping by Monday to take a look at the situation. At this point, why not? We had a couple heavy rains here and the pond has reshaped itself a bit, making the slopes less steep on the positive side, but taking away some depth on the negative.

I still don't know what liner will ultimately be used at this point but a picture of the end result should be interesting since the originals are at the top of the thread. When will it be finished? I have no idea but hopefully before the next president gets sworn in cause everything will be fair game then.

I prolly would have fired the excavator. Thats BS. Or pressured your contractor, if you have one to do so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's the latest pics I took earlier this evening.

The excavator is long out of the picture and the mason never called back. This is normal business tactics in this part of Florida. I'm going to have to go it alone with EPDM. IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is a definite possibility, but videos like that just makes it harder to make a decision. The pen went in so easily, there is no way that would survive in my pond with trees in such close proximity (occasional falling branches are inevitable but I can cut dead limbs around the pond every quarter or so).
Take You Tube videos for what they are, and not for what they are not (reality).

Also, puncture resistance isn't the one factor. You must consider longevity, ease with working, repairablity, etc.

Normally, I swim upstream, but there is a reason most people go with 45 mil EPDM

I have not had any punctures with EPDM, but I did notice a rather industrious chipmunk have torn a hole in a section well above the water line.

PS - Anyone have trouble spelling EPDM and keep thinking of the early 90s rap group EMPD?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what do you guys think of 90 mil EPDM ? I mean, besides the fact it will be harder to bend around corners. Minus any impurities like fire retardants, etc. I have someone who guarantees it's pond safe.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So what do you guys think of 90 mil EPDM ? I mean, besides the fact it will be harder to bend around cornors. Minus any impurities like fire retardants, etc. I have someone who guarantees it's pond safe.

Overkill!
Will that "someone" put that Fish-safe warranty in writing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Overkill!
Will that "someone" put that Fish-safe warranty in writing?

LOL, probably not but it did cross my mind to ask. I probably will buy from an actual pond supplier. I did find an excavator. I'll post more pics when he's done.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So what do you guys think of 90 mil EPDM ? I mean, besides the fact it will be harder to bend around corners. Minus any impurities like fire retardants, etc. I have someone who guarantees it's pond safe.

Geesh, Joe........why not look around and see if you can find some 135mil EPDM.

C'mon.....45mil EPDM. Just like everyone else. If I've told you once I've told you thirty-four million, six hundred and eight-six thousand, two hundred and seventy-eight times........don't exaggerate.

45mil EPDM. Use it, don't use it, but please.........stop talking about it.

Ask a Question