Best Practices

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am a firm believer of "Best Practices". A best practice is a method or technique that has consistently shown results superior to those achieved with other means, I extend that to where uncertainty regarding risk exists.

In part this means means given the choice between A and B choose the one with least possible risk providing it is affordable and reasonable.

Obviously the extreme would be to hire a staff including an ichthyologist but that is way outside my budget and therefor unreasonable.

But there are examples in our hobby where using the best practices makes some choices easier.

Over stocking vs understocking... duh! If you are overstocked do something about it.

Gravel/rocks on the bottom of a pond or aquarium. I eliminated them years ago when their safety was first brought into question. I tossed out a load of under gravel filters but it made keeping the tanks easier and cheaper.

Another example that came up here recently is using feeder fish to stock or cycle a new pond. Surely there is less risk in using non feeder fish. Even better known healthy fish or ones that have been quarantined. Because you got by with something does not mean you should suggest it to others.

Redundancy is another best practice. Should one unit fail the 2nd still provides some level of support to the tank or pond. This applies to pumps, heaters, and filters, The more independent the redundant units are the more protection you have. Redundant electrical devices should be put on separate GFI protected circuits. If you don't have a GFI circuit you can place on at the end of an extension cord in an electrical switch box. I have several of these and they work great.

I hope you can use this principle to help you make better choices.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Oh, Sissy, you probably started out figuring on $100 or so; Double that twice and you have $400, and you MUST be getting close!!! :nananananana:
John

Ask a Question