Best Pump / Filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

We are new to the pond scene. We have purchased 125 gallon preformed pond from Home Depot. We just want something small for one of our flowerbeds. We will probably have a few goldfish and some pond plants in it. I have looked at several pumps and filters, but I really don’t know which one is good and which one is not. I was hoping to get some recommendations. We don’t want anything real fancy - Just something to clean the pond and run a fountain. This one seems to have pretty good reviews and includes everything:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...mp+300+gal&dpPl=1&dpID=41sz1iC-hkL&ref=plSrch

Any thoughs? I definitely want one with the UV light in it to kill algae because it will be in a fairly sunny location. Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-6-10_9-16-29.gif
@Christina M
Not sure what kind to tell you for a small pond. I use the bigger pumps, brand names Laguna or Pondmaster. They might make smaller set ups.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I don't think there's ever a "best" pump and filter. Everyone has their favorites for different reasons. If you find one with good online reviews it's probably a safe bet that it's a good choice!

You mentioned UV - remember UV is only effective on the tiny algae that causes green water. It won't help string algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Christina! Go for it. Your flowerbed pond with this filter (300 size) should be fine. The thing about this filter is it must be kept clean including the ceramic biomedia & uv for everything to properly work. I highly recommend a low bioload for this pond. Perhaps only two goldfish (which will quickly grow) several water lily plants and an emergent growing plant such as an umbrella palm. Weekly partial water exchanges will help. I see tfhe filter also has a light which is quite nice. Enjoy your pond!
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @Christina M , the filter/pump combo you linked should work pretty well for your needs. With it circulating about 190 gallons per hour that would mean it would circulate your ponds water volume 1.5 times each hour (2x an hour would be better) but it seems like a good fit for your sized pond assuming you keep your fish load pretty low like @Stephen Noble mentioned.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for the feedback! The pond is installed so I think we’re going to go ahead and order the pump/filter kit and give it a go. Thank you for the tip on keeping the fish load pretty low. I’m glad you mentioned this because we probably would have ended up with too many fish otherwise!

Ask a Question