Best scrubbies to use in a skippy? and how much?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am building a 100 and 70 gallon skippy and need to get the filter media for them. What is the best thing to use? I have heard industrial strength floor scrubbers? But I am not really sure what those even are.

And how much do I need to for the two filters?

Thanks for your help!!!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are the pads that are used on floor scrubbers that companies use to clean their floors like walmart, meijer etc. You should be able to find them at Lowes or Home depot. They are round and come in different colors depending on the courseness of the pad I think the smallest is 6" but they go up in size from there. Not sure how many you would need.

http://www.floorscrubbers.com/store/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000017&CAT=000219

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The other thing I have heard of being used, (I used to get rid of fine dirt in my temporary filter) is door /window screening, the nylon replacement rolls. Found at hardware stores (home depot, lowes etc) You can get a pretty large roll for not too much money. Take it and put it in the filter crumpled up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Might try that idea addy in my waterfall filter. Stuff is cheap and would last a long time and easy to hose off! Have some leftover from making my floating plant rings too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It collects the fine stuff nicely, and did not seem to get really gunked up. I un-rolled it and put in the filter as a big pile. Disclaimer, only ran that filter for about 3-4 days to clear out fine dirt from the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Like your disclaimer and I even was able to use the like button. Appears that I am able to use it on every other post I choose to like.
I will remember that and check on it to see how dirty it is getting. Maybe only use it now and then. Would be so easy tho to pull it out fast and hose it off and throw back in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing didn't want to claim it had run for months with mucking up. It sure did help get that fine dirt out of our newly running pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I could prolly get away w/ leaving it in there for a week or so as not too many fish in my pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1,

Is this the type of screen you're speaking of?

http://www.lowes.com...s-_-Phifer%2072

John

Yep, I bought a roll of it, think it was from home depot. I spent under 20 dollars, can't recall, but it was not that expensive.

I just looked there are a bunch of different sizes, lengths and prices, sure can spend some bucks on that stuff

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope won't hurt the fish at all. I have it in my pond on the bottom of my plant ring and the tiny babies go in there through those tiny holes to hide from the bigger goldies. Had it in there now for a couple yrs w/ no problems.

IMG_1257.jpg

It just has some duck weed in it below and prolly some babies living in there too:

IMG_1184.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I went to HD and Lowes and couldn't find the floor scrubbers, but they had large packages of the green scotch bright scrubbers. Has anyone used these and do they work?

I bet your babies love their place to hide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I ran back over to HD during my lunch and found the allusive floor scrubbies :) They are in the equiptment rental section! Now to see if I bought enough.

Ask a Question