Best solution for cleaning box-style filters (quick-connect?)

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have a box filter / pump setup as shown -

Bx2mvi7.jpg

dQWmlXO.jpg

Y01AjH3.jpg

I put in a 90-degree elbow and threaded valve, so that it could redirect the hose (3/4") immediately off to the side, to look better. The problem with it is this - trying to clean the thing is a royal pain, because it requires twisting off the pump, which means the electrical cord gets wound around the hose. I can't think of a way to avoid this, except to maybe install a quick-connect connector on the hose. These seem to be really hard to find though.

Anyone have a setup similar to this? If so what's your solution to cleaning the filters? Do you do the twist-twist-twist-etc thing?

My hose got a leak recently, so I had to cut it to repair anyhow, so I tried installing a garden-hose quick connect. The problem is that I can't find a good adapter for that hose. It's a 3/4" Beckett corrugated hose, however it's become brittle (after only 2 years) and won't stretch around a 3/4" hose adapter - it just tore. Ideally I'd like to get a quick-connect that's specifically made for this kind of hose - not a garden hose, but I can't find one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do not have that set up but I use fernco connectors, they work great. You may need a barb fitting on the hose then connect the fernco to the 90 degree barb and the hose barb.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...Coupling-P1056-100/202245805?N=5yc1vZbuf5Z4hs

Thanks - I may end up doing something like that.

Toughest thing seems to be is finding a good-sized barbed connector! I might could use a 5/8" barbed connector, but that might restrict the flow too much. What I think I'm going to end up doing is filing down a 3/4" barbed connector - taking off the barbs - and using clamps to hold the hose on. For that matter (thinking about it more) - I actually don't need a quick-connect; just a standard garden hose connection will do; so I can just use male and female hose-end repair kits.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reducing the size of the hose from 3/4' to 5/8' would not be the best way to go as it will increase friction loss and increase the head. Move up to 1" hose....fittings are more widely available and it will increase the efficiency of the pump.

Reaction score
Reducing the size of the hose from 3/4' to 5/8' would not be the best way to go as it will increase friction loss and increase the head. Move up to 1" hose....fittings are more widely available and it will increase the efficiency of the pump.

Well I wasn't thinking of using a smaller hose, just using smaller connectors. That still would reduce the flow some however. However just now I tried sanding down the barbs on 3/4" connectors and it works - I can insert that in the 3/4" pipe OK without splitting it, and then just use screw clamps to hold the pipe on.

I have a 560 GPH pump, so I think the 3/4 pipe is good - I might switch to a 1" pipe at some point though; we'll see. Is there a good web site you'd recommend for 1" connectors? That's not the kind of thing they have much of HD or Lowes, and unfortunately there's not a good pond store right around me. Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Google "1 inch PVC Fittings". You may have to go through several sites to find a particular fitting, but someone has it.

Reaction score
Hmm - when you mentioned "hose" I didn't think you were talking PVC. I was thinking more like 1" flexible tubing (like this). My setup doesn't really lend itself to hard PVC. Especially with my very small pond (50 gallons IIRC) PVC would stick out like a sore thumb.

(This thread has a bunch of pics of my setup)

Anyhow - I think I'm good for now. My upper section isn't turned on right now (water wheel's been out of commission). When I do that, if I find the flow is too low I'll look to expand the tubing. For now I think I've found a way.

Ask a Question