Best source for liner, underlayment

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have recommendations for good online retailers for pond liners and underlayment?

A local garden center sells liner for $1.89 a square foot and underlayment for $3.99 per linear feet.

Just thought I’d see if people have good leads for online retailers in the USA.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just got 3 liners 30x30 20x20 and a 15x20 two came in damaged in shipping and the company jumped right on getting new shipped out asap. Justliners.com and there prices were the best i found.
I got my underlayment from lowes SPECIAL ORDER 8 OZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got 3 liners 30x30 20x20 and a 15x20 two came in damaged in shipping and the company jumped right on getting new shipped out asap. Justliners.com and there prices were the best i found.
I got my underlayment from lowes SPECIAL ORDER 8 OZ

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have told this to many a visitor here to the site take the time go over all the videos you can on you tube. Aquascapes has some great videos as does the pond digger i have put some dream ponds on a blog post here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/ Those are to just give some ideas and how to make things look natural. There are so many others out there as well some great some less than. But once you have an idea put it to text in here and spell out every step your going to do . The good folks here will help you. if they see your overlooking something or if it can be done easier and help save you from costly mistakes and trust me we have all made mistakes in our builds .. that is except myself "yeah right"

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
As for underlayment you can use most anything soft and w/o nails, staple's etc. I used old carpeting, heavy blankets, towels on top of towels. We have part sandy soil w/o many rocks and it worked great. Carpet companies will sometimes give you old carpet just make sure w/o tacks!
I bought my liner at a roofing company the first time and for my 2nd pond I bought it from an irrigation company. Both very good liners just like the ones from the pond stores. I just laid them out, hosed them off and in they went. Oh and we got them local so brought them home in our truck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As for underlayment you can use most anything soft and w/o nails, staple's etc. I used old carpeting, heavy blankets, towels on top of towels. We have part sandy soil w/o many rocks and it worked great. Carpet companies will sometimes give you old carpet just make sure w/o tacks!
I bought my liner at a roofing company the first time and for my 2nd pond I bought it from an irrigation company. Both very good liners just like the ones from the pond stores. I just laid them out, hosed them off and in they went. Oh and we got them local so brought them home in our truck.

I actually got a giant roll of old carpet as underlayment but wasn’t sure how pliable it would be, and thought pond underlayment might be a safer option for a newbie like me.

How do you get carpet to fully form to the sides of the pond? I worry that it’d be too rigid and stick out, and my pond won’t have the nice, clean stepped edges look.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh that water weighs so much and you can slice the carpet where ever it sticks out away from the pond. The carpet does not have to be one solid piece. It can be in many pieces of squares or whatever shape you cut it. Can be kinda hard to cut tho but w/a sharp box cutter etc. it will work. I used a lot of old throw rugs also and like I said you can put pieces of stuff that are not that thick on top of each other. Is your soil full of rocks or sandy? Anywhere a rock,root or protrusion shows make sure to put some extra over that spot if need be just to be safe. I am fortunate to have the sandy soil tho.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh that water weighs so much and you can slice the carpet where ever it sticks out away from the pond. The carpet does not have to be one solid piece. It can be in many pieces of squares or whatever shape you cut it. Can be kinda hard to cut tho but w/a sharp box cutter etc. it will work. I used a lot of old throw rugs also and like I said you can put pieces of stuff that are not that thick on top of each other. Is your soil full of rocks or sandy? Anywhere a rock,root or protrusion shows make sure to put some extra over that spot if need be just to be safe. I am fortunate to have the sandy soil tho.

Great to know! Thanks!

I haven’t started digging yet, but from my general gardening the soil is not rocky. But I’ve only dug a foot or so deep for planting.

Ask a Question