Best spot for switch for pond lighting?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm putting a double gang switch in the electrical line for on and off pond lighting and the fountain pump. Would like opinions for the mounting spot for those of you that have done this.

Choices are:

By breaker box in basement.
Outside between the line from the ground and spot that wire enters the house.

I will have a 4hr timer & dawn to dusk on the liner as well, but want to shut the lights off easily before bed. Inside by breaker box is good if the weather sucks and you don't want to go outside. Outside by house spot is easy to get at quick.

Don't want to mount a switch in dining room or at the pond plugin post.

What ye all think??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would vote on the spot where it is easiest to get to in a hurry .This way if a storm is coming or something happens to the pump or fountain it can be a quick switch off .You don't want to have to go out in bad weather .My switch is just inside my front door inside the wall with a little door over it so no one thinks it is a light switch .You have to open the door to switch it .It should have been put in 2 winters ago when the fountain head got knocked over from a sudden freeze and blizzard of snow started in the middle of the night and almost lost all my water in the pond .If I had the switch up there I would not have had to run out in my bare feet to pull the plugs .I could have switched it off and had time to at least find shoes :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey my motto is live and learn from other peoples mistakes .I have had enough of them with this pond .mistakes that is .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My main pond plug in is in the garage. If something went bad open house door walk open garage door pull plug, all would be off instantly. Then go down the hill and fix the issue.

I turn it off for the winter so don't worry about an ice issue. With the surface area of the bog the water cools way to fast to keep it running during the winter. The bog water fall would freeze over and cause all sorts of issues.

Ask a Question