Best Substrate for Water garden filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently completed construction of a Koi pong (1500 gallons, above ground). I also built a 6' x 6' pond next to the Koi pond but above the Koi pond. The idea is to have some of the pond water diverted from the pump into the smaller pond. From there it will gravity-feed into the lower Koi pond via a waterfall (not a filter, just a lip). The bottom of the Koi pond is just liner. I read that pea gravel would be a good substrate for the water garden. Is this true?

Could you recommend a good place to buy plants online?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. It will be all plants. But water from it will run into a Koi pond. The garden pond is in the foreground. It will flow into another garden pond (the long skinny one next to the waterfall. That will run into the Koi pond. The water garden is actually 4 x 5 and the water depth is 14". BTW: see those tarps hanging in the back? That is my idiot neighbor who was so offended by my project he hung those tarps so he wouldn't have to look at it :)

IMG_1596.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
...BTW: see those tarps hanging in the back? That is my idiot neighbor who was so offended by my project he hung those tarps so he wouldn't have to look at it :)

View attachment 91540

That's funny, because old tarps hanging on ropes look so much better than your tidy construction project.:rolleyes:

For a substrate, I would recommend garden soil with a gravel cap and find some submerged plants that are appropriate for your climate and water temperature.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
People will be people and maybe he is not offended but jealous ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Meyer Jordan is right about the gravel cap.
I have fish in my substrate setups, so the gravel cap reduces turbidity caused by the fish.
Make sure that you choose soil that is herbicide free and has no fertilizers added.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would use kitty litter, the pure clay stuff. Plants grow great in it.

Ask a Question