Best type of submersible filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 1200gal liner pond 18in-20in deep. I have a small filter/foutain box from a previous 125gal pond tub.

I am ordering a new pump and not sure if i should buy a larger filter box to set on the bottom of the pond or build a filter out of a sealed bucket and set on the bottom.

I do not have any place to put a filter outside of the pond , has to be in it.

Any sugeestion if i should go store bought or DIY. If DIY does anyone know a good DIY version to use?

I also have a serperate submersible UV that I run that has a pre filter and not hooked in to the box filter. And wonder if I should join them when i redo everything

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the forum! First off photos of your pond area will help everyone to better advise you.
Questions
  • Going to have fish?
  • What kind, how many?
  • Plants
You may be surprised of the small size of some bio-flushable filters. Take fore instance the out of pond filter I use.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5186+23480+20057&pcatid=20057

Here is there debris handling mate that mates with the filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5164+20126&pcatid=20126

There are so many choices! If there is any way possible an out of pond filter will help your maintenance a whole lot easier. Either in or out I'm sure someone here can help you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I don't have a lot of experience with pumps, and there are sooooo many out there to choose from. One thing you'll want to look at is energy consumption. Some really suck-in the power [not that they "suck," but that they use a lot of it -- sorry, poor choice of wording] and some are more forgiving. You'll want to move your water at least 1-1/2 times per hour. Do you have fish? Gold fish or koi?

I have a debris-handling [or solids-handling] pump, so I decided to do away with the "filter box." Mine pumps straight to a Skippy [ a DIY filter] and a bog, so I don't really need a prefilter -- which is what the boxes or buckets are for. So, it really depends on your personal needs.

Mine is from Home Depot, [Total Pond or Smart Pond -- Home Depot & Lowe's I think use the same company with different names on the products]. I have a 3600 gal, but am currently using a 2000 gal [same brand] -- long story. As I said, it's a debris-handling pump. When I checked it's enery consumption, it was very low -- maybe someone will remind me/us what you look for on the label for that......?

Hope that helps! Post pictures for us!

Ask a Question