Best use of money...

Reaction score
I've wondered about that Sissy. I mean, 22x11 feet of grass is certainly not going to bring property value up, but having a big hole filled with water is like having a giant golden moose in your front yard, sure some people may think it's awesome, but what are the chances that those people will buy your house. I'm really worried that if we ever do move the pond will be a sticking point. I hope to never move though, so that's the only silver lining.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey I said the same thing this is it each house i bought and then for some reason 10 years of remodels I sold ,but also made a big profit .Here where I live now my house is the biggest in the development and houses sell here for 1500 sq.ft. to 1600 sq. ft. for 179 thousand and they don't have the upgrades mine has like 2x6 stud walls and triple pane windows and they sure don't have 4 bathrooms ..I do have one thing going for me is when this was built it only cost 89 thousand and after with the driveway ,carport and guest house I figure I am at 129 thousand .I will probably take out the pond also and move the fish to the other house that way it is not a sticking point .I think right now with the way the market is there is going to be no profit as i really see it going down more .Used to be people wanted nice yards with good landscaping but now it is more the inside they want updated .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree someone will either see the pond and plants as beautiful, or see it as a headache. Not going to worry about it. It is what it is.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well in your case addy I would think it may be a plus since the hill slopes a lot and that would mean if they took the pond out they would more than likely have to spend a lot of money on retaining wall block to give them some level areas and that could cost mega bucks ,dirt ,stone ,drainage pipe ,landscape cloth and retaining wall block and then on top of that all the men and machinery and shrubbery it would take .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You never know what the future will bring, but at this point we will be keeping this house as our base, but either florida or delaware as our "home state" less taxes Md is one of the worse taxed states in the US.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
after what is going on in Florida I would rethink ,seems like every year the storms get worse down .That is the only thing good about VA low taxes .3 acres and the house and less than a thousand dollars a year .They tax me for having a so called view lot and my friend Mike says yeh you are paying extra taxes so people can view your house . :razz: not sure how that works .Back in NJ 11 thousand a year on a acre

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the seasons, if we choose florida, it will be just a place we can call our home. We have some condos down there now, pick one as our permanent home, get drivers license, become a fl resident. Visit maryland..........lol

Reaction score
Well I figured out how to clear green water. Just spend a bunch of money on items that are supposed to clear it up, and 24 hours later your water will be clear. Even though most of the items I bought online haven't arrived yet, it worked to make my water very clear. Still some greenish hues going on, but the water is clear enough to see very well on the bottom.

Actually it just got really cool here the last two days, that made a huge impact.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I figured out how to clear green water. Just spend a bunch of money on items that are supposed to clear it up, and 24 hours later your water will be clear. Even though most of the items I bought online haven't arrived yet, it worked to make my water very clear. Still some greenish hues going on, but the water is clear enough to see very well on the bottom.

Actually it just got really cool here the last two days, that made a huge impact.

lmao! so glad the products that are on their way cleared up your water so nicely!

Reaction score
Hopped into the pond tonight to take care of a few tasks and stirred up the bottom algae really good. I basically created my own algae bloom and thought this would be a good test of the UV clarifier. Hooked it up and started runing it. Went out a few hours later to check it and the light was out. I opened it up and the filament on one of the bulbs was hanging free on one end. Pretty lame, not sure if I should be upset about this or not. I'm sure tetra will send me a new one for free. I guess it all depends on whether this happens again how I feel about Tetra as a brand.

Reaction score
It was the 18W tetra Green something or other. I got it on eBay for $99. I already bought 2 spare bulbs from Fost and Smith, but $22 each, I'd like to get a couple of monts at least out of the one that was included.

So I guess I'll use the spares I paid for while I'm waiting on Tetra to email me.

Of course that being said the pond is already clearing, it looks pretty darn good 8 hours later. Might just go buy another dose of flocculant and do that, the stuff I put in last night did great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wish I would have seen your thread sooner Buckry, or I would have chimed in my two cents...LOL! Here I have no UV and a bog, haven't had pea soup water even once. String algae has been driving me kinda crazy though. But it is mostly on my falls and where my plants haven't filled out the bog. My pond is completely clear (although there was algae there a month or so ago). If you have space for a skippy then you should have space for a bog. Aside from picking Addy's brain A LOT while I was building mine I found this website really helpful: Nelson's Water Gardens They even talk about building a pond with a bog in the center as an island. That would be so cool, who knows may be the wayI do it next....hahaha

Around here I have heard that a well made water garden that is not to complicated to maintain can raise your home value. It's a big trend now to have outdoor living areas, and the water garden creates a wonderful atmosphere. That's not to say though that if you dump $20k into a backyard pond that you will get a full return on your money. It's not quite the same as upgrading the kitchen.

Ask a Question