BEST WAY(S) TO WASH PEA GRAVEL?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I dread adding pea gravel to anything - hate washing it! Tried not washing it once, and it took 2 days for the water to clear up.

Just curious how you guys do this. I buy mine by the bag, and that's enough of a pain, but know some of you get yours by the truck load!

This last time, I dumped 5 or 6 bags in our garden cart and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed..... Other times, when I've just needed small amts., have been able to suspend a colander over a bucket and rinse where the dirty water exits from all sides.. This last method works the best [and uses less water], but would take FOREVER for a large amt.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wash mine with a wooden frame I screwed together and stapled screening to the bottom and just use the hose .I put it over my stock tank I am not using right now .But you can put the frame on top of concrete block and make it as big as you want .Mine was just to wash enough stone to put on top of my plants in the pots in the pond .Almost like the gold miners did .I used wide mesh screening .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I drilled about 50 holes into a 5g bucket, scooped a few shovel loads in it and the ran the hose on the top of it. The dirty water would drain out the holes. Did this for the 3 cubic yards of gravel I had dumped for my bog. Had very little dirty water when I started up the bog. It was a major PITA though!

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Get a large tub, taller the better , fix an outlet as close to top as possible, attach hose and fill with water, now bring your sieve over to barrel, place a small pond pump[1000] in bottom of tray and the pump hose end into barrel at bottom of barrel.

now you should be able to wash lots of pee gravel as the dirty water stays in bottom of barrel, change water as it becomes too dirty as required.THE SMALLER THE PUMP THE BETTER IT WORKS
good luck
whiskey

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used large 18" planters that are for lotus plants. Small holes so the dirt just hosed off. I was able to do 1/2 bag at a time (had 200 bags!).

Reaction score
did it rain enough :razz:

This is central florida during the rainy season! I must have planned this really good. Yeah, right, plan .... :razz: The bad thing was the tray I had suspended over a spot in the yard that needed some nutrients. Then got emergently admitted to the hospital for 5 days. Forgot to ask hubby to remove. Suprisingly, the grass didn't die!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if i had a large quantity to wash i think i might have tried a portable cement mixer,,,,fill it with gravel then water.. turn it on... and let it tumble for a while then just a quick rinse. i would think that would do a fantastic job of getting it clean.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all! Great suggestions, and I see a couple that I might try. Guess rinsing pea gravel is going to be a PITA no matter how you do it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
TM if you want to practice before you give it a try on yours I still have a 1/2 cubic yard in my driveway you can experiment on... :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
our 2800 lbs of pea gravel went in unwashed, except for the first two wheel barrels full.....................

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
our 2800 lbs of pea gravel went in unwashed, except for the first two wheel barrels full.....................

ADDY, you sound like me :) Almost to that point, now. And every time I think I've bought enough bags, well, I haven't and it's another trip to the DEPOT (my home-away-from-home, as Hubby called it yesterday).

Oh, and this is what I came up with as a washer: took a large [straight-sided kitty litter container -- may be equiv. to a 5+ gal. bucket], drilled a hole in the bottom to fit 3/4" PVC fittings [used the gray, electrical fittings] for a spigot to attach the water hose. Then drilled a bunch of holes along the top. Hose runs in from the bottom & dirty water out the top. One container will rinse about 1/2 bag of pea gravel. Since we have 5 indoor cats [!], have lots of the containers, so think I'll make a few more so I can be rinsing one bucket full while dumping another. OOOOPS!!! It's trash day -- I better go be sure Hubby didn't throw those kitty litter buckets out...

Ask a Question