Best way to control algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Have a 1500 gallon pond. It's in full sun, which I understand can cause more algae. Thinking of a UV light or a shade sail over the pond. How well do the UV lights work on ponds in full sun?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Op you already have a good thread on this with many good answers. I bumped it for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have a 1500 gallon pond. It's in full sun, which I understand can cause more algae. Thinking of a UV light or a shade sail over the pond. How well do the UV lights work on ponds in full sun?

I have an Aqua 57 watt on return from my bead filter and as overkill, I have a Uvinex 50 watt on my full size Savio
with one side of Savio blocked. Free floating algae is non existent. Mine is 1800 gallons so 1500 run at a proper flow speed will do the trick.
I had used a treatment and had to turn both UV's off for 5 days. The algae started to return and the difference was literally night and day. Southern exposure to boot with some overhead shade but sun comes in at an angle.

Reaction score
The installation of a UV sterilizer is the most efficient and trouble free approach to preventing the formation of green water. Algae growing on rocks or liner will not be affected, only green floating algae that will be destroyed when it passes through the UV sterilizer. The UV unit should be installed after the filter to assure it gets clean water without debris that will reduce performance. Unit selection is very important to assure success. Flow rate is very important and must be matched to the UV unit selected. If the flow is too slow, algae spores will be generated in the pond faster than they can be destroyed by UV radiation. If the flow rate is too fast (not enough dwell time in contact with UV) the algae will not be destroyed. This is a no brain er.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Control the level of nutrients (Nitrate and Phosphorus) in your pond and you will control algae. No need for UV or treatments.
Not always possible,most of us have other hobbies such as work,kids,pets,house. Green water can be very difficult to control in full sun and there is no sin in using a uv.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Simple is better when it comes to pond maintenance. If yiu have a green water prone pond then install a uv and never worry about again. Not everyone wants to bother with plants and lily's are a mess all there own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well I suppose the op can isolate a section of the pond from the koi and put floating plants in it.

Ask a Question