Best weed control

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! I live in Georgia and have a 1500 gallon garden pond with a waterfall feature. I use green matala media filter in the skimmer and bio balls inside the waterfall feature. This is the first year that I am having to clean my media filter of black muck daily . Any ideas as to why this would be happening? I have also noticed that the Hydrilla verticillata (water thyme) has been out of control in my pond already. What is the best way to control this weed? Would a UV light/clarifier help with algae and weed control? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have fish?

No idea about the black muck, unless you have excess nutrients that are feeding the algae and other plants. UV does nothing against weeds.

But, isn’t Hydrilla considered a noxious and invasive plant? I know it is here in Louisiana. I would just pull it all up and carefully dispose of it (bottom of a compost pile, maybe) where it won’t be carried off by wildlife and redistributed in local waterways. Just keep after it…..there is a reason it’s called an invasive plant!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
More info about the pond would be helpful - do you have fish? If so, how many and what kind?

As for the hydrilla - manual removal is the best option. It should be easy enough to pull out by hand.

Ask a Question