Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Now let me provide the caveat that I am no Beta expert by any means but have kept them for about 10 years so I do have some practical understanding of them. My issue is habitats, namely anything under 1 - 2 gallon. I know they will survive okay in this but I have always kept mine in either a 3.5 or 5 gallon tank and they always seem to be much happier in that size. When in the small ones they don't move that much and people will assume that is just their demeanor or temperament but when in the 5 gallon tanks I use they become very active and playful so just food for thought if you are planning to get you a betta maybe try and go for a larger tank than what is normally used for them. ;)
DSCN2847.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I find betta fish (b. splendens) fascinating, especially their adaptadion to low oxygen environments.
Gouramis are another example of fish with a labyrinth organ.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think they are necessarily happier because of a larger tank. They actually do quite well in small containers IF the are properly maintained. I have found many Bettas do very well in 2 1/2 gallon tanks (without the addition of filter) and using a heater to keep them warm. Keeping the temperature warmer than room temperature (which many Bettas are kept at) seems to go a long way in bringing their active personalities out :)

I have several Bettas and they are all housed differently. Some are in 2 1/2 gallon heated but not filtered tanks, some are in 5 gallon cycled and heated tanks, others are in community tanks ranging in size from 15 gallons to 29 gallons. I have found the shorter tailed types to do better in the larger tanks while the ones with the longer and heavier tails do better in the smaller tanks.

Bettas are very personable and very adaptable fish that are often times over looked due to misinformation :(

P.S. I always love to see pictures of others betta fish

Reaction score
Perhaps for convenience sake you could just keep them in a wine glass and drop a Prozac in there once in a while to keep them "happier".
4462408_orig.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I don't think they are necessarily happier because of a larger tank. They actually do quite well in small containers IF the are properly maintained. I have found many Bettas do very well in 2 1/2 gallon tanks (without the addition of filter) and using a heater to keep them warm. Keeping the temperature warmer than room temperature (which many Bettas are kept at) seems to go a long way in bringing their active personalities out :)

I have several Bettas and they are all housed differently. Some are in 2 1/2 gallon heated but not filtered tanks, some are in 5 gallon cycled and heated tanks, others are in community tanks ranging in size from 15 gallons to 29 gallons. I have found the shorter tailed types to do better in the larger tanks while the ones with the longer and heavier tails do better in the smaller tanks.

Bettas are very personable and very adaptable fish that are often times over looked due to misinformation :(

P.S. I always love to see pictures of others betta fish

I agree and I also think that bettas are very unique and so that is why I say that mine seems to enjoy the room of a larger tank. I did not mean they could not live happily in the small tanks I just meant that some might enjoy having a larger territory. My betta is about 3 years old and he has been in every kind of tank over his life with me from a 1/2 gallon up to his current 5 gallon and every shape/size in between and he likes the 5 gallon the most. I think because he is such an active guy so the extra room allows him to explore and create paths through the tank and also his hideout spot :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My understanding about bettas in small containers is that they have short lives - 18 to 24 months. Muscle atrophy is a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had some of my Bettas live about five years ( many times by the time they reach the petstores to be put up for sale they are already 6 months to a year old) while others only lived for about 2-3 years.

I always assumed life span was due partly to genetics and/or care and water quality. Never heard of muscle atrophy in a fish, interesting.

Ask a Question