Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
For @bettasngoldfish or anyone who knows about bettas...
Are there several "varieties" of betta available for pets? Because mine looks different than some I have seen online and on this forum but, at the pet store they all look like the same type just color variations but shape of fins etc. is identical ? If there are other types for pet please provide the names of them and images is possible because I have a few extra aquariums nd would like to get a few more betta at some point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I feel Maria can answer your questions on that Marshall, hower I think like koi differing colours of the same betta have been developed over time .
Some also had larger fins it was found appealing and again this was bred it to the same basic fbetta .
Am I right Maria or off the mark a little ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, There are many different types of bettas. The most common being the veil tail that you see in most any pet store. Although many stores are now selling a greater variety of bettas.

Check out this site to give you some idea on tail and color types www.theaquariumwiki.com/Betta_splendens_-_variations

I'm not a huge fan of Petco but I must say they do carry most if not all of the betta types and colors. Petsmart is also adding to the different types you can buy in their stores.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The veil tails seem to be the most hardy of the fancy tail types. And plakats are much better swimmers due to not having the long heavy finnage that some of the other fancies have.

Seems they keep coming up with new colors, right now they have what they are calling koi which I really like.

Screenshot_2015-09-12-09-27-35.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Yes, There are many different types of bettas. The most common being the veil tail that you see in most any pet store. Although many stores are now selling a greater variety of bettas.

Check out this site to give you some idea on tail and color types www.theaquariumwiki.com/Betta_splendens_-_variations

I'm not a huge fan of Petco but I must say they do carry most if not all of the betta types and colors. Petsmart is also adding to the different types you can buy in their stores.
What type is mine ? Can you tell ?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Does any one know if the bettas offered for sale for the most part are captive bred or wild caught?
I know that most pet stores say they are captive and probably are but my herpetologist told me some of the larger suppliers do sometimes lie and sell wild caught fish etc to pet stores under the auspices of being sourced from captive farms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marshall it was hard to see the tail on your betta but it almost looked to me that he is a full grown fish with about half of his tail.

By any chance did he have a longer tail when you got him? Do you know if he had any fin damage?

Ask a Question