Better Filter System Needed

Reaction score
Hi: I have a 2400 gal pond with about 50 or so fish and have had it for about two years. I originally had a sand filter hooked up along with a bio filter filled with 1/2" strapping at the waterfall & a couple filter media pads at the top. I added a 40W UV light as well. I got rid of the sand filter earlier this year as it was really a pain to clean and keep up etc. I need something to take it's place as the filter pads and UV light is not enough to do the job. I have been looking at a Hayward cartridge filter C900 as well as the Matala BioStep10 without the UV light as possible replacement filters. Would anyone recommend the best way to go. We just can't keep the water clear as it is murky all the time. Thanks a lot.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
go to the DIY SECTION theres a few nice filter buildsin there.... 55 gal drums and stocktank filters...these will out perform most storebought filters without the price tag. remote locating i would go with a 55 gal drum...the added heigth allows a better gravity return. pondside i would go stocktank style as in ...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-70-gal-skippy-style-filter-t5089.html
the lower profile allows a cleaner waterfall construction at ponds edge! as you can see in the filters build thread and it just so happens i make the weirs for stocktank filters
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/waterfall-weirs-diy-filters-t5243.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if the 1 BioStep10 is enough with your fish load.
The Hayward cartridge filter C900 would keep you busy cleaning it. They are made for swimming pools not ponds

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I guess I'll scratch the Cartridge filter idea, I know they are made for swimming pools but the Sand filter I had earlier was as well. I only have about another month before having to shut everything down for winter so I'll come up with something before next spring. The filter media pads and strapping in bio filter is definitely not enough. The UV light is still working but not even sure if it needs replacing. Put it in new at beginning of season. I'll check out the DIY section as well.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you could also try removing the sand from the filter and fillng it with bio or mechanical media instead ... i am getting a free sand filter from my brother in law and converting it to a bead filter with polyethelene beads for plastic injection molding... my winter project!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
you can convert your sand filter to a bead filter by cutting out some small plastic gizmos in the filter. i've not done it but several club members have in my area with good results. someone on this forum might know how or you might find a koi club in your area, and ask the members. no sense buying something you already have.

Reaction score
how much space do you have? do you have enough for 2 55 gal barrels? You can do S&G filter to go along with some sort of Bio filter. I have a S&G filter and am completely impressed with it. It clears the water up very well, also does fines filtering. that would be the way to go IMO... very economical too

Reaction score
Hi cauzeneffeckt: Thanks for reply. Not sure what an S & G Filter is. I ended up springing for an Aquadyne 1.1B Bead Filter. It was expensive so I hope it solves the problem. Read a lot of good reviews on the filter. I guess I will still use a couple media filter pads on top of waterfall as I have now. I would be nice if the Aquadyne filter took care of whole situation but will have to wait and see. Cleaning the media pads are a real pain. Probably wait till next spring to hook it up., It's really close to time for closing pond for winter.

Reaction score
I have to say that my home made bio filter has worked without one problem for 8 years. Simple, cheap and you just can beat the way it works. Great winter project for you.

What do you do with your fish in the winter. NY has to be very cold.

Reaction score
I leave them in pond and when it is expected to freeze I throw in a small heater and it keeps a hole in ice several feet in diameter and the fish hibernate or hang out near bottom for the winter. I will also stop ffeeding them when the water temp drops below 50 deg. It is just about 50 deg now but we are gonna have a few days of fluke temps in lower 70's and next week the high temp is only going into the lower 40's. That will be the end of feeding and I will probably close up the pump andblow the lines out and bring in the UV filter as well for the winter. I will hook up the new Aqua bead filter I just bought in the spring when I start the system again.

Ask a Question