Big cement pond done PIX

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
Hey whatsup every1? Some of you might remember me, I made a few threads a few months back and have finally finished my project. Here are some pix of the progress. All I need is a filter, can anyone recommend a good one
I found this one on ebay, do you guys think this is a good choice? Is it big enough for what I'm working with?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pond-Pres-Filte...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25563e2e12

You can see I changed my mind a few times, at one point I had 3 seperate pond shells from home depot that I had cut and epoxyed together and was going to connect with the cement pond with the wall knocked out. I eventually decided to just do concrete. I did all the work myself, first time ever doing concrete. I have it sealed and all is ready for water I just need to get a filter in.

Any comments or advice appreciated.
p.s. more pix in my gallery

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 392
  • flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 374
  • const.jpg
    const.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 362
  • w roxy.jpg
    w roxy.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 390
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 357

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
I have no clue how many gallons it is. You can kind of guesstimate the size based on the landscaping bricks around the edge I think. I'm just wondering if anyone has any expierience with this type of filter, or what you guys think I should do about filtration.

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
So, I'm takin it noone on this site knows about filters and what would be a good one for this size pond? This is pretty much the same question I asked before except now i have pics. Can someone please just help me out on the filter tip? I don't want to make one out of a 55gal drum and would rather just buy one like the one i linked to where it is small and easy to conceal. PLZ let me know ...i know SOMEONE knows ....or at least i would hope so LOLOL
Gracias Amigos :biggrin:

Reaction score
Ok, slow down MMM. You need to try very hard to estimate the gallons in the pond before anyone can suggest a filter to you. Since you don't want to build one, we will be happy to suggest one. It's quite hard to answer your question inquiring if this filter is big enough if we don't know the volume of your pond.

Your pond is irregular shaped, but we'll still be able to help you. Take out a tape measure and go give us the following measurements/info:

Length from the two farthest points
Width at the widest spot, the middle spot and the narrowest spot
Depth at the shallowest part and at the deepest part
Do you plan on having koi or just goldfish?

If you can get us all these measurements, we will give you a better idea of gallons. Plus, it's important to know this if you ever need to medicate your fish, add salt, dechlor for your water, determine how many fish you can have, etc. the gallonage is the most important number you need to know about your pond.

Welcome back to the site!

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
alright. so I went and got some measurments, the new addition (deep part) is a rough circle with a diameter of 10 feet. It is 29" deep thru this whole circle, then there is the ramp that slopes up to 19" which is how deep the shallow end is, the shallow end is 3 feet wide from wall to wall and it curves but is about 10 feet long if it were "straightened out". Hope this makes sense thankyou koikeeper :)

Reaction score
what is the entire length from end to end if you could straigten it out? Is that 10 feet? You mention the diamater of a circle is 10 feet, too. So, are you saying 20 feet long from end to end when you put everything together?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can always fill it...fill a 5 gallon bucket time how long it takes then fill the pond and time it...when i did mine, it took 40 sec to fill the bucket so that means 7.5 gals a min..2&1/2 hours to fill pond is 150 minutes 150 x 7.5 =1125 +70 gal filter= 1200 gallons .. that wasnt full to the brim but to where i maintain the water line. your bio load is to be considered also on a filter..how many fish are planning on and what kind?

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
True, that 5 gal bucket thing is a good idea! Should I wait until I get a filter to fill it though? Wont the water get all nasty if its not getting circulated and filtered? I plan to have koi fish and some turtles, not sure on the numbers, but I want a filter that can handle a decent amount of fish. I don't mind going a bit stronger than I need if it will keep it super clean and all. What do you guys reccomend I do next, fill the pond or buy a filter? And if I should buy a filter which one would be a good choice? thnx

Reaction score
again, if you give me the total length from end to end, I can help you figure out the rough gallonage in order for you to buy a filter. Is it 20 feet across or 10?

MMMxxxanaxxx

Banned
Reaction score
The pond is 20 feet long, the deep end is pretty much a circle with a 10 foot diameter and 29 inces deep, the shallow end is 10 feet long, by 3 feet wide, and 19 inches deep. So 10 feet of the pond is shallow and the other 10 feet is deep which makes up a 20 foot total length. Really appreciate the help guys thnk u :)

Ask a Question