Big koi pond came with house ....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by watchingangels, Jul 11, 2013.

1. watchingangels

watchingangels

So glad I found this forum. I am in desperate need of advise….

We bought a house that came with a koi pond. Last year we totally drained to clean out about a foot of rocks/gunk on the bottom. All flagstone has been removed from the sides until we are sure we have it correct. The pond was refilled and 15 rescued gold fish were added. We enjoyed for awhile but didn’t clean it out correctly so leaves and debris fell in and mucked it up again. It’s now totally drained and cleaned out again.

7 – 8 thousand gallons kidney shaped pond

2 10,000 gal/hr pumps

3-4 ft deep and a ledge 1 ft below around both sides

Water is pumped and runs along side pond then up along side of stream to top waterfall, holding tank is about 4 cu ft . Top waterfall is approx. 10 feet above pond surface and falls 4 ft into a 1 ft hole then runs down stream about 10 ft long. Water falls 5 ft over stacked rock back into the pond.

The top holding tank had pillows stuffed in it when we first opened it and we took those out.

Located in North Texas.

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions you may have in making this a better place for the fish and for us

top waterfall IMG_1283.JPG stream IMG_1284.JPG pond IMG_1285.JPG
    bottom waterfall IMG_1286.JPG

watchingangels, Jul 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. watchingangels

HTH Howard

Looks like it has a lot of potential.

Sounds like the 'top holding tank' is your filter.

Pictures of that would be helpful.

I am in the Oklahoma panhandle.

HTH, Jul 11, 2013
    watchingangels likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. watchingangels

watchingangels

Top holding tank is not 4 cu ft I guess a few feet from top so maybe a ft under water? and I sure don't remember all this stuff being in there. No wonder it wasn't cleaning....
    I took pictures from the start through getting out 1 bag of lava rock, 4 wall blocks, 2 green chair cushions? 4 layers of black mesh. still stuff on the bottom but it's 100 out, no wind, aweful smell :huh: Will have to finish later.

IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1295.JPG

Attached Files:

4. watchingangels

watchingangels

Any comments or suggestions regarding the layout and the current clogged up filtration? What options do I have in this area? I have read some on bogs so not sure if that would be a better option....
    Again, I appreciate all responses as I know nothing about koi ponds. I am reading the forums too...lots and lots of good information!

Mmathis and callingcolleen1 like this.
  5. watchingangels

DrCase Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum !!

Your pond has potential the filter wow needs a redo
    You could convert it to a skippy type filter if you added a pipe on the bottom to suck the muck out when needed.
    or just add a drum filter or skippy type behind it that would feed the old filter converted to a bog type filter

DrCase, Jul 12, 2013
  6. watchingangels

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

:claphands: :claphands: big hello and Welcome! Just a beautiful stream and that pond has lots of good potential for sure!

I would keep the pond running and not be too obsessed with cleaning constantly. My pond has not been taken apart and cleaned ever, except when I rebuilt one of the connecting ponds every 10 years or so. I would not place rocks on the very bottom of pond, that way you can net out the excess leaf litter and the pumps should be able to take care of the rest. I would plant large sedges like cattails, irises, grasses, and rushes in the stream, without soil, and wedge pieces of the roots in the shallow areas in the rocks. If you wish to plant the sedges in baskets with kitty litter or other soil medium that is fine too. I just prefer to plant my sedges by just wedging the roots in rocks and most will spread quicker that way I find. Sedges are best for natural cleaning of the pond.

Partial water changes can be done if you wish, but I would not recommend taking the whole pond apart every time it has a few leaves and such, as a pond needs time to balance and disturbing the pond constantly is usually needed. A bog would be very nice, but you also create a bog of living plants right in your pond and stream for now, and grow many plants that can be later moved to a bog when they get big if you wish.

Here is some sample pictures from my pond yesterday, you can see my big Yellow Flag water Iris growing in my pond with no soil, now it just floats naturally.

Attached Files:

callingcolleen1, Jul 12, 2013
    HTH, watchingangels and Mmathis like this.
  7. watchingangels

sissy sissy

welcome and cleaning it like that means you are starting over and that really spells trouble like colleen says .The pillows were in there to pick all the fine algae cells .Now you will be starting all over which will mean filter will need to cycle and pond will turn green .

sissy, Jul 12, 2013
  8. watchingangels

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Welcome! Sounds like you are at the pre-I-know-just-enough-to-be-confused stage! Don't worry, because as you learn, read, and experience, it starts coming together.

One thing I've learned is to NOT make too many changes (interventions) all at the same time -- so go slow as you progress. I'm still a newbie myself, and most of the time I want to do it ALL, RIGHT NOW! But you can't and shouldn't do that with a pond, especially if it has fish. Guessing I would start with fixing your waterfall-filter set-up. Lots of great ideas here on GPF, and on the web.

As mentioned, you don't need to empty & clean the pond when it gets full of gunk. That disrupts the natural balance. Is there a skimmer in the system? Those are good for removing surface stuff, like leaves. If not, you can get a pool skimmer net to do that manually, and use it to remove the leaves that settle to the bottom.

Also, as mentioned, rocks/gravel IN the pond will allow gunk to collect, and makes it harder to clean, which leads to growth of harmful bacteria. Rocks around the edge, OK.

Stick around here and before you know it, YOU'LL be the one GIVING the advice! Like me, LOL! I'm at the I-know-just-enough-to-be-dangerous stage :)

Mmathis, Jul 12, 2013
  9. watchingangels

watchingangels

Thank you for all the replies.
    Sissy, we don't run the pumps all the time and when off the stream doesn't hold water so I don't think we will be able to keep plants there. It will be river rock in that area.
    I'm going to look up some of the terms and filter types suggested.
    Y'all are the best :)

watchingangels, Jul 12, 2013
  10. watchingangels

sissy sissy

check out you tube .I use it to see filter builds and waterfall builds .With fish in there pump needs to run 24/7

sissy, Jul 12, 2013
  11. watchingangels

sentrek

Welcome, Where about in North Texas are you?

sentrek, Jul 12, 2013
  12. watchingangels

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Wondering same. There are several members from TX, around and in the central to north & panhandle area. Also, a few of us in LA, OK, and AR

Mmathis, Jul 12, 2013
  13. watchingangels

watchingangels

Were up in the Sherman/Denison area.

We are working on a side wall that fell in on the lower waterfall. If we put back all the filter materials we took out (cleaned of course) would that work for now? We need to get the water and plants back in.

Colleen....beautiful pond.

14. watchingangels

watchingangels

If we did the drum or skippy type filter would the amount of pressure we are getting from those pumps be an issue or a concern?

15. watchingangels

sissy sissy

remember the drum you will want to hide.Some people use the rain barrels

sissy, Jul 12, 2013
  16. watchingangels

watchingangels

Thanks Sissy. We will have to figure out how and where to add the large drum. Right now the pumps empty into the top holding tank that is not that big but was where the previous people threw in some filtering materials.

17. watchingangels

HTH Howard

Are you saying the stream leaks or that it runs down into the pond ?

Pumps should be run 24/7.

HTH, Jul 12, 2013
  18. watchingangels

sissy sissy

could you just make that area bigger and put a stock tank in there as a filter and let water from pumps go in it and go out of it with tank adapters.I put a liner under my tank so if water ever leaked out it would just run back into pond and my hoses run inside the waterfall too so if they ever leak it goes right back into pond .I bet you could use a 100 or 150 gallon stock tank
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:57138]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:57140]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:54032]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:53502]

sissy, Jul 12, 2013
  19. watchingangels

watchingangels

The little stream runs down into the pond. We hadn't been running the pumps 24/7 and that may be part of the problem we were having. Do you have to run 24/7 if you have plants in the pond and only 11 small (4-6 in) in there?

Sissy, we had talked of adding another pond on top so we will look into your suggestions. Thanks for the help...

20. watchingangels

sissy sissy

plants need oxygen to there roots and fish need oxygen also .Get a smaller pump and use it when you don;t want the bigger ones going for the filter and waterfall you could get away with a 3000 gph .Look at wattage .Remember plants give oxygen off during the day but use it up at night .I would use the smaller gph one for the filter also .I don't think you need a lot of the force those pumps are giving off .I use 2 smaller pumps if one goes out I have back up .I also use sump pump hose it is much cheaper .10 dollars
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:56574]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:52697]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:46572]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:46396]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:42777]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:42761]

sissy, Jul 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements