Big Ol Girl In Our Back Yard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This pretty heavy weight spider was found by my husband in the backyard today. I was able to get a good picture of her.

Sadly she did not survive a run in with my husband and the shovel. May she rest in peace.

Attachments

• DSCN4575.JPG
    DSCN4575.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 306

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
FINALLY, someone posts a pic of a REAL threat! and yes, I would have done the same thing as your husband. Those are not allowed here!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to have tons of those in arizona, every night would go out and spray them. Then I planted eucalyptus bushes, trees, the widows disappear. It appears they do not like eucalyptus oils.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7904399_eucalyptus-spider-repellent.html

Organic Deterents
Eucalyptus emits a smell that spiders do not like. Placing eucalyptus branches around you home will act as a deterrent. Similarly, horse chestnuts will also keep black widows away. Installing a bird feeder in your yard is also a good strategy to get rid of lots of unwanted pests. Birds spend all day eating critters like black widow spiders.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No worries here on Black Widows. Too cold here for them. I remember my dad telling stories of them biting him when he grew up in Tennessee. One time he was carrying a watermelon on his shoulder as a kid and one bit him. He said he thought he was gonna die he felt so bad. I've never seen one in person yet in any states we have visited across country. Quite pretty w/ that nice shiny black body and the lovely red hour glass design! I shall not be moving anywhere that has anything that has a poisonous bite. Looks like I am stuck here in the wetlands forever :biggrin:

Reaction score
j.w said:
No worries here on Black Widows. Too cold here for them. I remember my dad telling stories of them biting him when he grew up in Tennessee. One time he was carrying a watermelon on his shoulder as a kid and one bit him. He said he thought he was gonna die he felt so bad. I've never seen one in person yet in any states we have visited across country. Quite pretty w/ that nice shiny black body and the lovely red hour glass design! I shall not be moving anywhere that has anything that has a poisonous bite. Looks like I am stuck here in the wetlands forever :biggrin:
EWWWWWW! I've seen em' up close :eek: trust me JW that nice shiny black body is NOT impressive up close! We have them here in Indiana, but you wont see them hardly ever. The Brown Recluse is what we have to worry about here.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had to kill one this spring
2nd one in 30 years at this house

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With my first apartment in phoenix, think called an efficiency, i.e. just one room. I went to make the bed one time (it is snugged up near the wall) I stepped between the wall and the bed to change the sheets. I, ummmmmmmm, screamed! stepped right into a widow web, from the head of the bed to the bottom. It built it in less than a week. I slept on the couch until I could find the sucker and wipe it out. Had one build a web under my steering wheel, overnight, in my car, ran into it when I got in to drive to work. I hate those things.

Their webs are so sticky and strong, very disorganized web making, can't miss them. They make a tearing noise when you wipe them down.

At my late hubbies house I moved into, I would spot the webs during the day, with a flash light and spray do a widow hunt every night. They where everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thankfully we dont get black widows in the UK , Val would have freaked if she saw one of those she hates spiders .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question