Bigger fish - crazier spawning time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Good Gravy! This year, I treated myself to some larger shubunkins. They are chunky and gorgeous! Probably 9 inches long and lovely coloration. All together, I have about 13 or 14 goldfish now. There are 5 large shubunkins and one large comet - the prettiest I've ever seen. Yesterday, I noticed the telltale bubbles on the water and this morning, all hormonal hell has broken loose. These bigger fish make a much bigger ruckus. They are chasing each other into the shallows, all piled up and flopping around together - getting stuck in places they shouldn't be. (They eventually get out.). Then the minnows follow behind and have a frenzy - I assume they are gobbling up the eggs. (I have mixed feelings about that. These shubunkins are so pretty, I'd like to see what kind of offspring they have.). Anyway, just sharing my shock at how crazy this spawning season is with bigger fish. I am sort of worried they will be easy pickins for our hawks and owl. Hopefully, they will settle down soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Now imagine great big koi... that's one thing I don't miss with not having the big fish. NO GIANT SPAWNING MESSES. One year I had an egg filled female go overboard into the rain exchange during the chase. I had to grab her and toss her back in the pond. I had eggs stuck to every part of me. My flip flops had dried eggs on them for the rest of the summer I swear!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was always nervous when my koi spawned. They'd thrash around so much they'd inevitably get scraped. Talk about eggs.....I'm with @Lisak1 they drop a crazy amount !!!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yeah my koi and orfes are just starting to show signs of spawning. Can get noisy out there with all the splashing, then have to check to see if anyone is getting damaged. My one large (dragon scaled koi) seems to always have a few big scales hanging off him afterwards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Ours are chasing, I need fry to replace snake eaten fish.
The Florida Banded water snake that frequents my pond and has NEVER gotten a fish up until yesterday, took my biggest and most beautiful shubunkin last night...And it was my fault! I was throwing food in that sinks and she went to the bottom to get some and he was waiting for just that situation...bam! He grabbed her and was not in reach for me to rescue...I felt sick seeing her struggle. No use trapping since I live on a waterway that is filled with all Florida has to offer...First time...I never could understand why the snake never took a fish but now I know that it is much easier for it to catch frogs which just sit on top of the water....I will make sure that the snake is not in the pond before feeding from here on....hard lesson...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The Florida Banded water snake that frequents my pond and has NEVER gotten a fish up until yesterday, took my biggest and most beautiful shubunkin last night...And it was my fault! I was throwing food in that sinks and she went to the bottom to get some and he was waiting for just that situation...bam! He grabbed her and was not in reach for me to rescue...I felt sick seeing her struggle. No use trapping since I live on a waterway that is filled with all Florida has to offer...First time...I never could understand why the snake never took a fish but now I know that it is much easier for it to catch frogs which just sit on top of the water....I will make sure that the snake is not in the pond before feeding from here on....hard lesson...
Oh man! I'm sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh.... I'm so sorry. It's so hard to be right in the thick of witnessing the 'circle of life' stuff. Ugggggg..... Again - I'm so sorry! :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had some seriously aggressive male KOI. That's one ticket to a new home regardless who it is. To much invested to have some females hanging on to life from spawning. Unfortunately there has been three fish i absolutely loved get rehomed this way. No major snake threats yet. sorry to hear the snake got the upper hand they are ambush hunters

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Oy! I hope the snake isn't developing a taste for fish over frogs. So sad to lose your best fish like that. Hopefully, no more will fall prey to the banded marauder.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have films of more than one fish in a snake mouth. This year no hornwort forest, pulling it all as fast as it grows. Not going to lose over 200 fish again. Made a perfect snake ambush place.

Reaction score
My pond has been stable for several years because the boys killed all the girls. I'd like to get some new fish, but I can't tell the difference between males and females. I think introducing one or two females to the mix would lead to the same result.

Ask a Question