Bigger fish die

Reaction score
I just bought a house and there is a water garden containing several large goldfish and one water lily
And pea soups green water I installed a uv and a filter and added some water hyatcin which is growing like crazy and a few small goldfish that I had for about a year anyway the goldfish that were in there the water garden the per existing goldfish have died once the water cleared up after adding the fish and plants and filter 3 weeks prior what did I do wrong i don't want to lose anymore fish thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tested your water? if so what are the readings? (liquid test kit is the best) also how big a pond, was there a lot of muck on the bottom that got stirred up? when you started the filter up?

and welcome to our group from aonther marylander

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You say you added plants do you know what they were planted in or were they floating plants

Reaction score
The plants are water hyatcin I had with the fish in a stock tank
I have a aquarium test kit will it do for a pond
The filter probably stored up just a little setlement

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes it will work, check your levels. I meant muck on the bottom of the pond, was it deep or somewhat cleaned?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thBlackWELCOMEcat.gif
Birdguy321
Did you add water to the pond at all? And if you did do you have well water of city water? If city water did you add dechlorinater to the water while you were filling the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, only the big fish died? Well could be a lack of oxygen somehow as the bigger fish would need more and the little ones not so much. You could add and air pump to provide extra oxygen to the water and surface movement. If you have a nice flowing waterfall dropping hard into the pond that could help also. When I fill my pond w/ the hose when doing a partial water exchange I hang the hose up high so it makes more oxygen also as our well water is said to have not much oxygen in it.

Reaction score
Whell maby that might be one of the fish seemed like it might of be gasping for air sometimes what kind of air pum do you all use with out breaking the bank? I might fix up the waterfall and use it again it didn't work when I got the house

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can go to petsmart and pick up a air pump for around 20-30 dollars that would work. You need a nice air stone.

How big is your pond?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With your largest measurements it is around 600 gallons.

Reaction score
It seems to be the result of less oxygen in the pond. The use of air pump can be helpful in this case.

Ask a Question