Bigger pond

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a pond in my back garden it's 3000 litres, I have a few small koi gold fish and orfes, I visited Tesside Koi, a great supplier of fish and equipment! I have been bitten by the bug and decided to make my pond larger to a size of 9000 litre (2000 gallon) to house more larger koi. The problem I am having is I have been reading about water temp, and how I shouldn't change to much of the water. As it will drop to a lower temp and kill my fish, is this true? I would of course use the 3000litres of water in the existing pond and top up with chlorine treated fresh water will this be ok?

Many thanks

Reaction score
If you are able to reuse the old water that is great. Then what I would do is slowly, over the course of an entire day, or even longer, add the new water in, so that the temperature swing is not as bad.

Reaction score
Great thank you, hoping to construct my new pond this week and have it up and running by Sunday:)

Reaction score
Also what is the simplest and cheapest way to circulate the pond water in my new pond??

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I don't understand the problem? If you fill the new pond and run the pumps for a few days it should be at about the same temp and the old one.

After that I would move a few fish slowly to the new pond over the next 2 months. The idea is that you want the bio filter to grow with the fish load. Move some of the old media to the new filters if you can.

You are planning on a filter ?? :)

Edit: Pumps come in two flavors
1. cheap to buy
2. cheap to operate

They are seldom both.

Reaction score
HTH said:
I don't understand the problem? If you fill the new pond and run the pumps for a few days it should be at about the same temp and the old one.

After that I would move a few fish slowly to the new pond over the next 2 months. The idea is that you want the bio filter to grow with the fish load. Move some of the old media to the new filters if you can.

You are planning on a filter ?? :)

Edit: Pumps come in two flavors
1. cheap to buy
2. cheap to operate

They are seldom both.
Good point on letting the water age and then it will be the same temp. I wasn't sure if he had the time or capacity to hold the fish elsewhere for that long. Not many details provided.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Did a reread of the original post. Not sure how he is saving the old water if not digging a 2nd pond. I guess that is what had me thinking he was. But the rest does read like he is expanding an existing pond. The shadow knows

Reaction score
Hi sorry for the miss confusion I have a children's swimming pool 6foot x 6 foot with a 2 foot depth I will be storing the fish in, while I dig the existing pond bigger, yes I am planning on filtration, I said before your post details of what I was going to be using. Thanks for all your advice I understand what to do now, thanks again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Jamesc90 said:
Hi sorry for the miss confusion I have a children's swimming pool 6foot x 6 foot with a 2 foot depth I will be storing the fish in, while I dig the existing pond bigger, yes I am planning on filtration, I said before your post details of what I was going to be using. Thanks for all your advice I understand what to do now, thanks again
How many fish do you have & how big are they? How long will they be in the temporary pool? I am holding 9 goldfish in a pool just a little bit smaller than what you have. I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the water healthy. Be sure to keep a watch on that and to keep good filtration and water movement as long as they are in the smaller pool.

Reaction score
I have 18 fish in total, I have one koi that is 1 foot and a few about 8 inches and other that's are about 5 inch or smaller, they can be there for as long as it takes for water temps to meet, possibly a few days, my plan was to use my old filter and pump in the temporary pool while I start digger and, this way the way will still be circulated and filtered.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Jamesc90 said:
I have 18 fish in total, I have one koi that is 1 foot and a few about 8 inches and other that's are about 5 inch or smaller, they can be there for as long as it takes for water temps to meet, possibly a few days, my plan was to use my old filter and pump in the temporary pool while I start digger and, this way the way will still be circulated and filtered.
I would be more concerned with ammonia levels than the temperature, especially with that many [good-size] fish! Using the old pump & filter is a good idea, as long as you keep the filter media as is, and don't try to wash it. You'll want all that good bacteria in there.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Ask a Question