Bio Filter Design?

Reaction score
Getting ready to put my 55 gal bio-filter together. I will have input from pump with 1 1/4" flex line connected with a bulkhead fitting, 1 1/4 pvc routed to bottom, T'd off at bottom to 3/4" to create a swirl effect. Filter media is 3 layers: 1st layer is green floor scrubber pads, 2nd layer will be either plastic fencing material or water/coke bottle tops etc, 3rd layer will be cut to fit a/c filter purchased from Lowes placed on top to secure layer 2....
My question is the outlet to falls.... I plan to have two 1 1/4 inch outlets via bulkheads. Should they be placed side by side, or, one on top of the other? Or does it matter? Someone said "place them stacked" so that the one on top can act as a overflow preventer.... I'm trying to create a swirl effect (like a natural spring) in the upper portion of the falls. Any suggestions???

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It realy doesnt mater side by side or stacked...
I would be a little leery about the 1 1/4 outlets, I always go with a 2" return

Reaction score
Dr Case, I was going to go with a single 2" return to falls since I have a 1 1/4" inflow. I figured doubling the 1 1/4" giving me an actual output of 2.5" of outflow would be even better. Am I thinking wrong? Should I stick with the single 2" outflow? I've read that you should double your outflow to prevent overfilling of the filter.
What about using the bottle caps as media? Ever tried that? I've heard different reports on their use. I can get them free is the only reason I was considering putting them between layers of tighter media.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would go with 1 - 2" outlet ...It will let out more water than 2 1 1/4s
The bottle caps would work well ...And the price sounds great
Are you going to add a drain on the bottom ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used 2 1 1/4 coming out of my one filter also and finds it splashes better for the waterfall the other has 1 and not as much noise or bubbles .I have well water so do not worry about water evaporation and I have a new water level device that hooks to hose when water level float drops it just adds more all by itself .The water coming out of my well goes into filter system that filters the water very well .

Reaction score
Yeah I plan to install a bottom drain. Using a shower drain with 2" ball valve to 2" pipe. I like the idea of free media. Wife works at a local high school and it's amazing how many cokes freshmen drink!! :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw one filter that they took a lot of that nylon rope put it in small laundry bags so it's easy to take out and clean .I put my pumps in the pond in a crate and put lava rock on top and I'm amazed when I pull it up and it has no algae on it at all .Just pull the whole thing out the way it is, hose it off ,then put it right back in the pond and I have lava rock in small laundry bags and I can just pull each small bag out hose it off put it back or I can just open the drain at the bottom and spray the hose down through the media until it comes out clean .shut valve off and done .Some don't like lava rock but I just love it 3.38 a bag at lowes and it works for me and my small pond .easy enough for me and the junk that comes out I try to collect for flower gardens ,have to admit grass is mighty green by clean out .

Reaction score
I went with a 1-1/4" inlet and two 1-1/2" outlets on the one that I built over the winter, just waiting for it to warm up a bit before hooking it up so I can't tell you how it works. I went with two outlets so that I can still hook up my UV light if I need to in the Spring. Also I got the a roll of 1-1/2" flex hose for free so that was nice.

I did my swirler out of 1-1/2" pvc, I also used the blue furnace filter, but on the bottom, cut to fit one piece the size of the can, then cut the rest up into smaller pieces. Then cut some scrubbies up for the top.

Here is a pic. The white nipple is the inlet, the two grey ones will be the outlet. The inlet also has a vent on it under the lid.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Finished Product.jpg
    Finished Product.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 362

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the elbows at the top front are they there to allow air in to keep water oxygenated or is that where water goes out to the pond and if so what are the grey ends on them

Reaction score
sissy said:
the elbows at the top front are they there to allow air in to keep water oxygenated or is that where water goes out to the pond and if so what are the grey ends on them

They are just vents to allow better flow to the outlets. The grey ends are the returns.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ok I have never seen grey parts like that except for electrical .I used all black abs does not show up so much .It's good you used a heavy duty garbage can because it will last longer .My other filter I used 2 rubbermaid heavy duty totes one inside the other just in case .It seems no matter what plastic gets brittle after awhile and the other is 2 plantainers inside each other ,if it's not the cold that weakens them it's the heat ..the plantainer was so I could put some plants in the top to make the area at least a little green and help with water quality

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You know I was thinking about that and I had to drill a hole in the top of my elbow at an angle so it wouldn't gurgle this t connector you used would have been a better idea .darn now may have to go back to lowes and get it and see if it does work better LOL I also put an air hose in my filters makes them really buble when they come out

Reaction score
The nipples were purchased at a pool supply store. They are different than the barbed ones at HD and Lowes. I will be able to remove the hose in the Winter and store the filter in my garage, which is heated.

Ask a Question