Bio Filter for Waterfalls

djg

Reaction score
I have a small pond with a waterfall. The basin at the top of the waterfall is not large (1 inch in depth and about a square foot large I am looking to filter the water as it cascades down my waterfall. What bio filter would i be able to implement it into my pond?

Reaction score
All you really need is a small skippy filter(40 gallons), which you can find instructions from the forum. You would take the intake from your pump to the filter (diverting it from the waterfall) and then and a line from the filter to the waterfall. If you post pics some will be able to give you a better idea for actual placement. Hope this helps.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
post some pix many of us have our falls as our falls basin.. but the stock tank and drum filters can be located remotely even. really, check ot the designs... its not a big deal. is your top basin area big enough to dig out some and sink in a filter? post some pix we will help. if its that big of a deal buy a pressurized filter.. you can put it anywhere you want even bury it pump in then to water fall..youd just might have to extend your hoses

djg

Reaction score
pond001.jpg

pond002.jpg

pond003.jpg

Water source is at the top.

Reaction score
djg said:
I have a small pond with a waterfall. The basin at the top of the waterfall is not large (1 inch in depth and about a square foot large I am looking to filter the water :confused: as :confused: it cascades down my waterfall. What bio filter would i be able to implement it into my pond?
You don't really mean you want the filter media in the falling water, do you? Do you mean you'd like to add biofiltration to the shallow basin?

You could use any type of filter before the falls. You'll want a mechanical stage before the biofilter to reduce the load. But the possible configurations are almost endless. What do you want this filter to do? Do you or will you have fish in the pond? Are you having problems with green water? What is the goal?

djg

Reaction score
Otter said:
You don't really mean you want the filter media in the falling water, do you? Do you mean you'd like to add biofiltration to the shallow basin?

You could use any type of filter before the falls. You'll want a mechanical stage before the biofilter to reduce the load. But the possible configurations are almost endless. What do you want this filter to do? Do you or will you have fish in the pond? Are you having problems with green water? What is the goal?

I want to put the filtration media somewhere on the rocks before the water reaches the pond. What is the most practical/ideal way of doing that?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
on the rocks is not practical nor highly functional ... filtration should be in its own self contained and maintainable enviorment.

Reaction score
it's not practical to put media in the falls. The media needs to be submerged in water which is where the bacteria lives. It won't survive unless it's covered in water

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well your pix are night time pix..we cant see behind your falls set up... the amount of koi you have in that small of a pond is going to need some good filtration. so your gonna need to get a 30 gallon or more tank, barrel, trash can(plastic outdoor) and build a biofilter. if you build a skippy style filter(upflow) your water enters at the top and leaves near the top. so as long as the output is higher than your falls you can locate it behind or away from the falls. check the DIY section and EQUIPMENT section for plans for filters. if youve got room dig out your upper pool area and locate your filter there.

djg

Reaction score
The pump intake is located at the bottom of the pond, the water is pumped towards the top. The opening is that cave-like hole. The stone above it is cemented down, so there will be no possible way of implementing a trash can/flower pot there. What I was looking for was some type of compact/smaller and more practical filter which can be implemeted in a small area.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
youve already said that... the hose up will need to be tapped into ran to a filter then from the filter to your "cave like hole". this is not a difficult thing to understand.. your setup now is going to cost your fish their lives. all our ponds are plumbed basically like yours.. except between the pump and the falls we have a filter...now if you dont want to or cant build a filter..buy a pressurised filter and run your pump to it.. then it to your falls..you can put the filter anywhere you want...uphill ...downhill.... wherever.. you can bury most of it or let it sit on the ground..it does not matter. buy some hose if needed.if your going to repeat the same thing over and over again we wont get anywhere...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
djg said:
The pump intake is located at the bottom of the pond, the water is pumped towards the top. The opening is that cave-like hole. The stone above it is cemented down, so there will be no possible way of implementing a trash can/flower pot there. What I was looking for was some type of compact/smaller and more practical filter which can be implemeted in a small area.

You need to listen, then start thinking "outside the box". Just because you have an established system, does not mean you can't break into it somewhere and add this needed filter.

How do you think room additions are done to existing homes?

We are trying to help you...

Ask a Question