Bio filter replacement sponge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Do the sponges ever need to be replaced on the bio filters?
We have a CPF 250 bio filter had t for about 5+ years , every so often i notice my water flow drops considerably and need to clean them out due to it getting clogged with gunk .

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You want to be careful how much you clean the filters in the bio-filter. You don't want to lose the beneficial bacteria that is growing there. I changed out from the sponge filters to the Matala round filters. They are firm, don't clog as much and fit well into the bio-falls box. I only clean them at the end of the season when I turn the pump off.
Biofalls filters (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do the sponges ever need to be replaced on the bio filters?
We have a CPF 250 bio filter had t for about 5+ years , every so often i notice my water flow drops considerably and need to clean them out due to it getting clogged with gunk .
as long as they're not falling apart, you're good to go. They provide area for bacterial colonization and a physical barrier for particulate. If they begin falling apart, they're no longer doing this. And as Cas mentioned, don't overdo the cleaning; just rinse off (using pond water) and put back. Many of us have bogs because we don't want the routine cleaning and do want the larger filter space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have 3 blue matala mats in the bio filter with 1 bag of bio balls and 1 bag of ceramic noodles. It runs all year long. I clean mine 3 times a year. Spring, summer and fall before we go in to winter. My mats are 10+ years old and still look new after I clean them.

Ask a Question