Bio filter

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I've been researching DIY bio filter designs for a while now and have an idea that I want to bounce off everyone.

Use a sump pump basin (about 32 gallons)
Use PVC to create the inflow that enters in the center at the top and to the bottom. A T joint about 6 inches from the bottom splits the flow to two openings that will create a vortex at the bottom of the basin.

There will be a drain valve at the bottom to remove solids.

I want to use commercial scrubbing pads from a circular floor scrubber. I found a size that will fit in the basin snugly. I want to stack 10 of these in the basin. The intake tube would go down through the center hole of the scrubber pads.

At the top, there would be approximately 6-8 inches of water where I plan to grow Water Lettuce.

The intake for the outflow would be about 1 inch from the top of the basin and flow into a small pond above my waterfall.

I also plan on putting a bag (1-2 pounds) of charcoal in the bottom of the basin.

Does this sound like a good plan? I see some bio filters where the water pours in from the top and exits at the bottom as well. I'm not sure which would be best.

I am planning on housing this about 8 feet from my pond at about 2 feet above my pond's water level. I figure I can use gravity to move water from my filter system to the waterfall basin with gravity.

Pond specifics
My pond is going to be 1500-1800 gallons
Probably 5-6 Koi
Some water plants
Partial shade with afternoon sun for 3 hours
40 inches deep

Here's a photo of my progress on my pond so far...

Would love your input folks!

Tim

Attachments

• 400466_10151567843785805_1447694956_n.jpg
    400466_10151567843785805_1447694956_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your liner is going tohave alott of rinkles in it my friend .
In these rinkles you'll find all sorts of nasty bugs waiting to attack your fish built up by detritus settling in these rinckles .
You should add a bit more area to the pond effectively ironing those wrinckles out thus protcting your fish .
The pond itself should be between 4-5 ft deep the optimum depth for koi .
Koi are very messy fish, a bottom drain is perfect for draining all that muck away which is why we all use them in the Koi World

rgrds

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
FILTER.... you can get a 55 gal poly barrel from a carwash, craigslist, fleamarket. cheaper than buyiing a sump pump vault. and have 20 gals more filter. carwashes will often give away the barrels if you ask. $10.00 is the most i've paid for one. theyre also sturdier. and they make floor scrubber pads that will fit them as well... your filter is not unlike my 55 gal one for my basement pond. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/2766-koiguys-55-gallon-bio-filter-skippy-style/ except i opted to pass on the floor scrubber pads.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
There is an additional mechanical filter and UV clarifier that will be included in the filtration system.

I hear ya on the wrinkles Dave. I was really concerned about them. Unfortunately, I can't get a larger surface area because of space constraints. I'm going to fold the wrinkles down as best I can and use large rocks to hold them down. A friend suggested using a bonding agent for rubber and actually gluing the wrinkles down on themselves. I'm researching that today. It might be a good solution for the issue.

Ideally, I would love to have a HUGE pond that is cement and a liner. But in this home (not my final home) and being the first pond, I will stick with the DIY type.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Idea sounds great, scrubber pads work well, drain should be 2 inches to suck the detritus out of the lower pads, bigger cheaper barrel would have more room for a slower fill and more settling of organics.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used lava rock in mine and I posted about the sump pump vaults as here they sell them with the tank adapters .I use a mini dirty water pump in the bottom of my tank and just plug it in and put the hose that is attached to it in a bucket and plug the pump and flush some water through the filter and done .Quick and easy .

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Sissy- that's a great idea! I was going to install a bulkhead and ball valve at the bottom to flush the contents out monthly (or as needed).

Ask a Question